Author: voice_cd

What should we do to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-11 16:06:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-11 19:49:47 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2018-9-11 08:49
Wealthy is a man with good friends. But what is even more meaningful to life is to have good friends ...

I like this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-12 11:32:10 |Display all floors
I would say that education in China is one-pointedly focused on getting qualifications, and so this means the more people who have a certain level (eg: Bachelors Degree) the less it means and so everyone has to have a Masters Degree to gain that extra advantage. This leads to an employment scene which is getting increasingly more complicated and difficult to find good candidates.

How do you narrow down many applicants for a position? You set the bar higher so that you look at only people with Masters Degrees and then from overseas or top universities. That might bring down the list to a more managable number but it also excludes some people with Bachelors Degrees who might be perfect for the job. Just because someone has a Masters Degree does not mean the have common sense, enthusiasm, and passion for the job. There are other criteria which are equally as important as a high level of education.

This suggests we need to go back to basics and re-evaluate what businesses require and what we are delivering as an end-product of the educational system in China.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-12 14:33:55 |Display all floors
ocpaul20 Post time: 2018-9-12 11:32
I would say that education in China is one-pointedly focused on getting qualifications, and so this  ...

What you mention here is happening in some other parts of Asia too. Usually, developing countries have this phenomena. In due time, when progress and development runs its course, people will realise that a degree is just a stepping stone to further learning and education, not an end by itself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-13 09:18:44 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2018-9-8 13:17
A lot of the innovations elsewhere started from bottom up, not the top down approach.

Bezos was wor ...

This article itself is part and parcel of innovation - see more, explore more, include more, debate more........ don't inhibit out of fear.

The more the people from diverse background the greater the innovation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-13 15:16:15 |Display all floors
"In due time, when progress and development runs its course, people will realise that a degree is just a stepping stone to further learning and education, not an end by itself."

Yes, but...what further learning and education is available now for those who realise what they need to advance in their career? I do not think we need more education at all, but different education methods which will teach students to think more for themselves, but as I say, that has problems...

Everything has a "pay-off" so whatever is done will have some consequences for society either positive or negative. At this stage, I am not sure there is anyone who can see far enough into the future to make those predictions, so it might have to be a suck-it-and-see approach.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-14 14:56:13 |Display all floors
ocpaul20 Post time: 2018-9-13 15:16
"In due time, when progress and development runs its course, people will realise that a degree is ju ...
Yes, but...what further learning and education is available now for those who realise what they need to advance in their career? I do not think we need more education at all, but different education methods which will teach students to think more for themselves, but as I say, that has problems...

Try "lateral" education. People are too caught up with "vertical" education. Being knowledgeable in different subjects help you see things from different angles. That increases your ability to solve problems. Bosses like people who can solve problems. If you want to be your own boss, "lateral" education is even more important.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.