Views: 18780|Replies: 10

China-made degradable plastics [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-9-5 16:11:13 |Display all floors
(Xinhua) -- Chinese scientists have developed a plastic that degrades in seawater and could help curb the increasingly serious plastic pollution in the oceans.

The new polyester composite material can decompose in seawater over a period ranging from a few days to several hundred days, leaving small molecules that cause no pollution, said Wang Gexia, a senior engineer at the Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

"For a long time, people focused on 'white pollution' on land. Plastic pollution in the seas only caught people's attention when more and more reports about marine animals dying from it appeared in recent years," said Wang.

Scientists combined non-enzymic hydrolysis, water dissolution and biodegradation processes to design and invent the new material.

The research was recently selected as one of 30 winning projects at a contest of innovative future technologies in Shenzhen, south China's Guangdong Province. The contest encouraged young Chinese scientists to conceive groundbreaking technologies and trigger innovation.

China has given top priority to ecological environmental protection, contributing Chinese wisdom to resolving global pollution.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-9-5 17:42:35 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-5 18:10:09 |Display all floors
Excellent news

I was just going to develop that myself

Well that's saved me from having the worry of being a Billionaire

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-5 19:54:12 |Display all floors
Well done China
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-6 09:29:26 |Display all floors
About forty years ago that chemistry teacher told us a story in class:“From the newspaper I got a news report: "Western scientists have invented a new kind of paper which would never get wet and disappear even you leave it in water for days that can keep its shape once you get it  out of water! It was unbelievable although my major is chemistry in which course I had seen too many  magic chemical reactions!”
When I was young (about six year old), my neighboring friend wore a pair of special pink  shoes with which he always made musical sound as he walked!  I admired him every much. ---------Those were plastic shoes!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-10 04:15:23 |Display all floors
It's just a matter of time until most of our problems will be solved by science.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-10 11:03:34 |Display all floors
So, who says the Chinese are not innovative?  Hope they come up with a solution to the existing plastics now floating in the seas!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.