Author: ceciliazhang

China's efforts in fighting plastic pollution   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-24 10:14:16 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-24 10:06
The same as here. Cloth bags cost 1 yuan but this surprises me: People buy them and discard them a ...

usually as trash bags at my place ..

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-24 11:28:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-23 16:16
If you had ever been to China you would see the plastic discarded carelessly everywhere on public  ...

Obviously you've never been to China. I see lots of people carrying their own bags or else rolling a
small suitcase behind them. In most places you have to ask for a plastic bag and pay for it.
Very rarely do I see fruits and vegetables wrapped in plastic, whether it is a small shop or a supermarket.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-24 14:18:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-4-24 14:20
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-4-23 13:17
China’s plastic bag banThe Chinese government introduced rules banning supermarkets and shops from  ...

"Seven years later in 2015, the volume of plastic bags used by supermarkets and shopping malls had decreased by two-thirds, according to data released in 2016 by the Department of Resource Conservation and Environmental Protection. "

Don't know if those figures are correct, but do know that the amount of plastic bags used used outside supemarkets has not gone down, especially in small shops, roadside hawkers and wet markets, often called farmers' markets!  Witness the number of bags customers lug home everyday from the markets and throw them out their windows to litter the streets below or get stuck on tree branches, fluttering in the wind!
The ban only lets supermarkets make more money by charging customers for plastic bags, which they previously gave away free!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-24 14:49:57 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-4-24 14:18
"Seven years later in 2015, the volume of plastic bags used by supermarkets and shopping malls had  ...

The plastic bags have not been as widely used as before. But with the boom of China's express delivery industry, excessive packages pose a serious environmental threat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-24 15:08:47 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-4-24 14:49
The plastic bags have not been as widely used as before. But with the boom of China's express deli ...

"The plastic bags have not been as widely used as before. "

That depends on where you look.  My observations tell me othherwise.  
But the second part about express delivery is correct, they create another source of plastic pollution!  Online companies must be required to recycle their waste.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-24 15:13:01 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-24 11:28
Obviously you've never been to China. I see lots of people carrying their own bags or else rolling ...

"I see lots of people carrying their own bags or else rolling a
small suitcase behind them."

Yeah some do carry their own bags for other items not shopping, and those rolling small suitcases are students returning home from school for the weekend, to litter even more with plastic bags once at home!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-24 15:13:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-24 08:18
Right. These useless plastic bags should cost 5 yuan each to hurt the wasteful consumers.

maybe you should credit the western inventor of these useless plastic bags.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.