Author: dostoevskydr

China gives Google and Facebook an ultimatum [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-12-26 15:04:07 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-12-22 20:43
I haven't lived in China even half a decade, but I have acquired enough first-hand experience that ...

China just doesn't spend money on rowdy political circus that yields nothing but a divided and irritated public.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-26 15:27:48 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-12-26 15:04
China just doesn't spend money on rowdy political circus that yields nothing but a divided and irr ...

First of all, it's not only about spending money - it is also about creating jobs. All that "political circus", in USA for example, is a multi-billion dollar industry if you consider all levels of work that it entails, and include all the media that goes around it. China is lacking this whole industry.

Secondly, for what it's worth, that circus makes the people in those respective countries to think that they are better off than people in China for example. It doesn't matter if that is true or not, but the effect is there. They are happier because of that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-26 15:59:35 |Display all floors
This circus is a waste of time and resources, with all the spending that produce no material wealth at all.

The public is largely clueless about political jockeying, behind-the-door dealings,  financial policies, social engineering, and so on, though they think they are, so more often than not, they screw themselves and their countries in elections and referendums.

It is fine the politicos fool the public into thinking they are better off, good luck.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 16:47:56 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-12-26 15:59
This circus is a waste of time and resources, with all the spending that produce no material wealth  ...
This circus is a waste of time and resources, with all the spending that produce no material wealth at all. [...] It is fine the politicos fool the public into thinking they are better off, good luck.

That could be a very typical Chinese view - only material wealth matters. Of course it is understandable, considering that for so many decades this is what Chinese public was denied and the people were lacking. Now they can have that, and can't get enough of it.

Perhaps in those years, it was the opposite - it was the Chinese that were fooled to believe that all that matters is the communist dream, even if it comes at expense of people's material wealth and happiness.

In most western democracies, the material wealth has been there for a long time already.

The political circus in those countries boils down to very simple thing - what is a good balance in distributing that wealth from the rich to the poor. Almost everything in the circus evolves around that.

The poor want more and the rich want to give less, but the poor (mostly) understand they they cannot get everything or the rich stop creating more wealth, while the rich (mostly) understand that they must give enough to keep the poor from revolting.

In China you don't have this discussion - the state dictates the proper distribution and you live with it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 17:10:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Liononthehunt at 2017-12-27 17:25

Are you economically illiterate or what?

According to your theory, the western countries all should abandon machines, computers, or any automation devices to create jobs and distribute wealth more fairly.

Purposely creating problems like your political circus, then expending resources to fix it doesn't move the society forward.

By the way, western democracy works around fairly distributing wealth? You are not very good at telling jokes, aren't you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 18:04:55 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-12-27 17:10
Are you economically illiterate or what?

According to your theory, the western countries all should ...
According to your theory, the western countries all should abandon machines, computers, or any automation devices to create jobs and distribute wealth more fairly.

That's not my theory. My theory is that rich are to be allowed to become richer, but:

a) their wealth generation should be taxed adequately (but not too much), and that tax revenue should be redistributed to the less fortunate.

b) their example should motivate the poorer to develop themselves to achieve wealth too

State's role is to make that happen, and core of that is to decide the exact figures for wealth redistribution (tax regime, and how to allocate and spend tax revenues).

For that there are different opinions, and my theory is that all the "political circus" evolves around that.

My theory is NOT that you first create the political circus, and then expand resources to fix it.

My theory is that in western democracries, the political "circus" is the method to decide about the figures in wealth redistribution.

western democracy works around fairly distributing wealth? You are not very good at telling jokes, aren't you?

No, I'm just not American.

But even in American context, the question is to define what is fair to begin with. It is a subjective matter, and you don't have a single entity to dictate it, like you have in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-27 18:27:41 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-12-27 18:04
That's not my theory. My theory is that rich are to be allowed to become richer, but:

a) their  ...
a) their wealth generation should be taxed adequately (but not too much), and that tax revenue should be redistributed to the less fortunate.

China and a lot of non-western countries are doing the same thing.
b) their example should motivate the poorer to develop themselves to achieve wealth too

State's role is to make that happen, and core of that is to decide the exact figures for wealth redistribution (tax regime, and how to allocate and spend tax revenues).

Fair enough, and it is not something only the western countries are working towards.

My theory is that in western democracries, the political "circus" is the method to decide about the figures in wealth redistribution.

Western democracy is more than about deciding the figures. But anyway, western democracy couldn't guarantee a fair distribution of wealth or a distribution scheme that would effectively impel economic and social development, as exemplified by the stagnation in Japan, and social chaos in India.

Like I said before, the public can't be trusted to make wise decision through elections and referendums on taxation, financial/monetary policies, social affairs, and so on. Those are the jobs of economists, sociologists, political scientists, rather than the politicos who only strive for the gains of the interest groups they represent.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.