Author: dostoevskydr

China gives Google and Facebook an ultimatum [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-22 09:29:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-22 09:32:17 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-22 16:44:58 |Display all floors
It is nearly impossible now for the 2 companies to recover their lost ground in China.

They have already paid a hefty price for their prior refusal to comply to the rules.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-12-22 17:13:08 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-12-21 20:35
Making sure that nothing undermines your authority and status is not really "moral" or "responsibili ...

Management manages by making decisions and by seeing that those decisions are implemented.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-22 20:32:08 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-12-22 16:44
It is nearly impossible now for the 2 companies to recover their lost ground in China.

They have a ...

Many Chinese argue that foreign companies like these two cannot even serve Chinese market, because they lack knowlege of local aspects - so not only they would have to abide by China's laws, but they would also have to start from scratch it developing understanding of the Chinese market and the habits of their prospective users. I don't agree with that, but that's what many Chinese claim.

From this perspective, I would argue that if Google or Facebook were accessible from China, it would not be so much about serving the Chinese market for China, but to open Chinese eyes to the outside world and what there is to see. After all, to continue from the forementioned argument, they should be much better at understanding that world than any Chinese company. And of course it would offer an outlet for Chinese users to input to that outside world.

So I would say that there IS (or would be) a niche for foreign social media in China, even if it would already be fully saturated by Chinese companies serving the Chinese audience from Chinese perspective.

If they would grab that niche, there is a chance that they would then grow naturally from that and start to compete with Chinese companies in more mainstream Chinese market.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-22 20:43:27 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-12-22 17:13
Management manages by making decisions and by seeing that those decisions are implemented.

I haven't lived in China even half a decade, but I have acquired enough first-hand experience that China's real problem is to get decisions that really matter implemented. They spend lot of resources on things like blocking Google or Facebook, and less on things that people really need - like providing services to rural citizens or making the business environment simpler and smoother.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-22 20:48:27 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.