Views: 27029|Replies: 36

Are The Chinese Losing Their Ability To Write Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-23 12:07:40 |Display all floors
A local TV station carried out a survey to find out the writing ability of the average Chinese, and the results are very interesting and worthy of further study.
A reporter,  armed with a small whiteboard and a pen, asked passers-by to write the Chinese characters for the simple word, 'ganga', meaning 'awkward'.  From the very young primary school children to the very old grandpas and grandmas, and those in-between, none could write the word in Chinese!  Some held the board and pen and pondered for a while, then gave up; others scribbled some unintelligible stuff and burst out laughing at their own inability to write correctly.  All agreed that it was a common word which they often use in daily life, but they just couldn't write it down.  But this is no laughing matter; if this survey is anything to go by, it has revealed a rather worrisome trend, of the average Chinese losing their ability to write Chinese!
Their over reliance on the cellphone, where words pop up at the touch of a finger, has eroded the Chinese people's ability to write Chinese!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-23 17:50:02 |Display all floors
"From the very young primary school children to the very old grandpas and grandmas, and those in-between"

This makes me wonder, did many of these people ever even learn how to write these specific characters in Chinese?

I (luckily) come from country, where the local language follows so called "phoneme principle", which means that every (well most) sounds that humans can produce, translate into a single letter (or sometimes combination of such).

So if I hear any spoken word (even if I have never heard it before and don't know it's meaning), I should be able to write it down in letters. Similarly, if I see a new word in my language, I am able to pronounce it.

Some say that this kind of language is so easy to learn, that (compared to Chinese for example) kids in my country spend less time learning to read and write their own language, and can instead learn other things (or take time to play).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-23 18:40:35 |Display all floors
When the electricity goes in the future, and for some time,  people are going to learn a whole lot of new skills, and quicjkly. Millions will fail and pay the price.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-23 20:51:38 |Display all floors
Mishao Post time: 2017-11-23 18:40
When the electricity goes in the future, and for some time,  people are going to learn a whole lot o ...

When that happens, ability to write (or even read) will not be even in top 10 of skills that most of the people will miss.

If anything, electricity and related appliances and services have made these specific skills much more important than what they were before electricity.

Of course if electricity stops for good, then humanity's ability to raise again will depend largely on reading and writing, just like it did before. However, in that situation we as species probably won't have much time anyway, with or without electricity.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-24 04:59:10 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-24 11:46:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2017-11-24 11:49
Jaaja Post time: 2017-11-23 17:50
"From the very young primary school children to the very old grandpas and grandmas, and those in-bet ...

You are fortunate, your language is much simpler than Chinese, and btw most, if not all Chinese, learn to write Chinese from young.  The problem is, they forget how to write after the cellphone become popular.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-24 11:48:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-24 04:59
The Chinese won't need to be able to read and write much longer. Why do we have artificial intellige ...

So, you are telling your kids not to learn to write?  Good luck to you!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.