Author: senoritazhao

Lecture about 'female virtues' provokes heated backlash   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-27 10:13:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-27 10:16:13 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-27 10:38:19 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-5-27 10:16
I think "decay" is a vastly misleading word. The importance or the value of chastity is unquestion ...

Well, the word "chastity" (in local translation) almost doesn't exist in my culture anymore. Only place where the practise strives at all, are some religious circles, and few odd individuals. In general public, you would easier find an openly gay person than someone who virtuously holds on to their chastity.

And that has in no way diminished the success of the society. I fail to acknowledge any current importance to the virtue.

The only way the concept of chastity could be still valued, is to not act rude - like curse, use foul words in normal conversations, or flash your titties or other appendices in public. But I rather consider that just good behaviour, having nothing to do with chastity as virtue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-27 16:58:46 |Display all floors
I would also add, that considering how the virtue (where still practised) is almost exclusively applied to women (as shown in OP for example), and I really do not see that changing no matter what you do, then wouldn't it be better to let go off it altogether.

If chastity still carries some positive social aspects valid for larger population, why not consider those aspects under some other "virtue" - or letter of law. After all, various forms of exploitation (as mentioned by seneca) will not disappear from this world simply by some people holding on to chastity as a virtue. Good will of some will not protect them from those without.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.