Views: 7588|Replies: 31

Lecture about 'female virtues' provokes heated backlash   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-25 17:55:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by senoritazhao at 2017-5-26 09:01

FEMALE.PNG

Photo from People's Daily

(People's Daily Online)  

A lecture delivered at Jiujiang University in Jiangxi province has been showered withcriticism after its thesis - that a woman's best dowry is her chastity - became public.

Ding Xuan, a female lecturer from the China Women’s Development Foundation, suggestedthat women are responsible for bringing luck to their husband’s family by embodyingtraditional values and virtues. Ding also shared several other controversial opinions, suchas that “wearing revealing clothing leads to sexual assault.”

Ding quoted several lines from a well-known ancient Chinese historical masterpiece,suggesting that marriage without the intervention of matchmakers will bring shame onone's ancestors.

The controversial speech quickly went viral after an audience member posted severalphotos of Ding's lecture slides online. As of press time, the hashtag“GirlsBestDowryIsChastity” had garnered over 89 million page views. Many netizens andscholars denounced the lecturer's views, accusing her of misusing classics and preachingoutdated norms.

“The lines Ding quoted from [the history book] were taken completely out of context.According to the original story, a woman marries her beloved king without her father’sconsent, which causes her father to disown her. Instead of hating her father, the womankeeps treating him with respect. The story is about love and piety, not criticizing womenfor freedom of marriage,” Douzi, a well-known internet historian, wrote on Zhihu, aChinese Q&A website.

Mainstream media outlets, including China Women’s News and Guangming Daily, alsocriticized Ding’s remarks, noting that intellectuals and public figures should not advocateoutdated values in today's increasingly open and diverse society.

In response to the controversy, Ding insisted that girls should be chaste, adding that theremarks she made are based on her own experience.

“I think the audience misinterpreted my opinion ... my grandmother and mother taughtme these beliefs, and I’ve passed them on to my daughter. I apologize if the public feelsunhappy about my remarks,” Ding said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-25 17:59:44 |Display all floors

dingxuan.PNG

The lecture caught the attention of netizens when a student posted pictures of the lecture and its alleged Powerpoint slides, which contained sentences such as “being a virgin is the best gift for a husband” and “wearing revealing clothing is vulgar.”

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-25 20:31:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-5-25 23:35:14 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 00:01:29 |Display all floors
It is not because she has an opion and that she can make it public that she is right. And she is using the typical excuse that she is quoting someone else's statements. How low of her, hiding behind that. At least she should have the courage to stand up for her opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 00:31:51 |Display all floors
I'm "liberal" but I'm also old. More experience, less testosterone! Upon consideration, I see a certain value to "chastity" for both female and male. Indiscriminant and impulsive sexual behaviour tends to separate sex from love and care. A couple that still integrates their sex with their mutual love is likely to enjoy the sex more. There is a potential "spiritual" quality to loving sex. And the physical thrills can reinforce the "togetherness of the process". So, this person is not completely wrong.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-26 03:17:18 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-5-25 23:35
Good on her. She certainly does have a right to her own opinion.

Would liberals be happy if she go ...

Perhaps!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.