Author: knox1234

Can China build world-class universities?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-26 14:13:05 |Display all floors
This is a stupid idea.

Chinese students don't gain much from foreign students because undergraduates are simply too immature, still dealing with adolescence to be able to relate to foreign students. The most likely scenario is that these foreign students will segregate themselves into racial/ethnic groups which is the case in Western Universities today. These foreign students will just pass their time chasing girls all day and partying all night.

If China wants to attract the best and brightest of foreign talents, Tsinghua and other Chinese Universities should give scholarships to graduate students pursuing PhD degrees in China. These foreign talents are going to be older students who have worked in industry for a number of years or have experience teaching or doing research in foreign Universities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-26 17:14:25 |Display all floors
And by the way, "world-class" Universities in STEM fields are renowned for their research not teaching, and are ranked based on the number of publications in peer-reviewed academic journals. Simply increasing the number of foreign undergraduate students won't do much to enhance the academic reputation of a research University because most academic research is done at the graduate level. A better way is to establish both academic and industrial research centers in the research University to be financed by both State and Corporate sponsors. Then and only then are foreign students recruited globally for PhD programs to pursue research in those research centers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-26 23:26:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-2-25 15:06
As long as Chinese universities breed only robots and no geniuses there is no danger of Chinese univ ...

Sympathy for your pathetic situation disclosed!
University is center for education. Knowledge is shared.
Probably, you could not attend university, so you vent your anger on it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-27 03:56:51 |Display all floors
"Why should they specially choose China to pursue higher studies?"

I think that the main reason a foreigner would choose to study in China would be to learn about China itself.  There are many people who would consider that to be worthwhile, considering that China has become a major power in today's world. But I have never heard of anyone considering going to China to study other fields. Actually, considering that they would have to learn to read Chinese, at a fairly advanced level, in order to study in China, it seems like studying the Chinese language would have to be their main focus anyway.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-27 05:20:21 |Display all floors
Education is all about future and career. People work less hours today and produce more. For example, what took 40 hours to produce in 1950 here in the US may only take about 11 hours to produce in, say, the 2000s. Go ahead and call all students lazy if you want, but I personally like the US and UK systems in that it's not about the results, but also the process. If arrogance and excessive pride are part of society, so is self-deprecation. The US&UK take pride in ourselves on our willingness to fail and learn. Students get like 12 chances to take the ACT! You can get yourself from an abysmally low score of, say, 17 to a perfect score of 36! Ok, this may not be what I really mean, but in the US/UK, there are lots of ways to become successful. Working hard? Absolutely necessary, and we do work hard in the Western World, especially in the US/UK, but it's not all about a getting a paper proving our academics like it is in China.
As with both US/UK nations, it has long been our identity that we allow academic freedom in a largely unstructured system. Not Only In Common Core, however, seek to change, hence the name. Great to hear that the Chinese system works for one, but do realize that it doesn't necessarily fit everybody. I don't think losing face is necessarily a component of Western cultures, so we are more willing to fail and learn, while the Chinese system focuses more on the results and "getting the right answers." The name China Education looks indoctrinated to me, so I don't know. Maybe China still has a reasonable face-saving mentality to educate them, rather than independent thinking to encourage their education...

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!  Rated R, Parental Guidance Suggested....

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-27 10:00:13 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 14:27:19 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-2-27 10:00
Chinese universities do see some international students who take regular courses at these universi ...

Hmm,
http://www.4icu.org/cn/

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.