Author: Fllyingfish

Should parents take charge of kid's 'yasuiqian'(gift money)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-22 12:18:02 |Display all floors
Two thousand RMB is a lot of money for a 5 year old... at that age they really don't possess any financial sense.

When my step-son was young and received red envelopes, my wife deposited the money in a separate bank account for when he got older.  It was something he understood.  Granted, he was given a very small amount to spend as he wanted, but the bulk was for his future.  Over the years that account has grown.  When he began working, my wife insisted that a percentage of his income be deposited as well.  That's something he's never questioned and respects.  He's in his late twenties now and single.  If he wants to withdraw money from that account, he has to provide his mother with a justifiable reason... she's lenient, but cautious on how he spends his money.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-22 14:32:00 |Display all floors
When I was a child, I thought it's right to give the red envelope money to my MOM. Little kids do not have a clear concept on money and they do not how to cost the money in the right way.  When Ruirui grows up, her mom may give back the money to her.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-22 16:43:03 |Display all floors
Children quickly realise what money is for but need to understand its value. They need to do work to earn pocket money, thereby knowing that money is not just given out to spend. Gifts of money therefore need to be managed by an adult fairly.  Even in infancy, a child needs to be given a small amount to spend or save, but the rest deposited in a savings account. When old enough they can be taught about the value of doing this, thereby introducing deferred gratification, which is one part of intelligence. If anyone wants to send me a red envelope of money I can show them how to invest it in my bank account
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-22 21:30:01 |Display all floors
Freshwang Post time: 2017-2-21 16:43
Hello.
After reading your short story,I suddenly have a thought that how parents confirm that thei ...

When a child knows nothing about life they could only reflect on what their parents say. And the parents usual say something like "I will help save the money for you and I will return it to you when you grow up, the money is still yours." Every child had believed this story, thinking that they will have their money back. But when they really ask for it, the money have usually been used to pay their tuition...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-23 11:25:53 |Display all floors
haha ,lt's funny ,so sorry for  the little girl's loss . but , I think the  parents are right . And even in property angle , the parents certainly possess the property of red envelope . Because it dosen't drop from the sky . It's an interaction between kins and friends . the parents pay out ,and the kids take in . that's all . so little girl , wipe off your tears , you must be strong , it's the life .

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-23 12:05:16 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-2-23 22:46:27 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2017-2-22 12:18
Two thousand RMB is a lot of money for a 5 year old... at that age they really don't possess any fin ...

very sensible
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.