Views: 1358|Replies: 1

teacher from USA [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-8 07:07:40 |Display all floors
Hello, my name is Gayle (rhymes with mail) and I am a 64-year-old retired teacher from the west coast of the USA. I joined China Daily for several reasons.

First, I like to understand the point of view of other countries.  I read news publications of many different countries,  I feel so lucky that the internet makes this possible.  I wanted to know more about the Chinese point of view of recent world events, especially the election in the US and its possible impact on China.  

Second, I have recently heard about Chinese companies that are hiring American teachers to tutor Chinese students of English via Skype.  Having taught English as a second language for years here in the US, having a degree in linguistics,  and having myself learned several foreign languages as an adult (so I know how it feels) I feel qualified for that work.  But considering that culture and life experiences affect communication as much as do the words of a language, I would like to learn more about modern China before I contact these companies.  I studied Chinese in college enough to have a sense of the specific problems English presents to Chinese speakers, but I would like to understand more about the difficulties students are having with English.  Also I would like to ask, if anyone here has used the services of these Skype tutoring companies, what do they think of them?

Third, I am very interested in the subject of education policy and education innovation.  That is another discussion too long for an introductory post.  But I would be interested in meeting and corresponding with Chinese people interested in this subject.

I also have a question.  (This may have been covered in the Terms of Service, but I could not get it to open when I was registering, so I just clicked "I Agree.")  Is it permissible to offer services here at China Daily, for example as an English tutor or editor?   Am I allowed to mention such services in posts, and would I be allowed to send private messages to people offering such services to those who seem to need them? I want to respect your rules, thank you so much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-18 10:38:56 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.