Author: Sallywrj

Should English be abolished in the college entrance exam in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-16 15:02:59 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-1-16 13:54
first of all any Chinese teacher of English should be fluent in English.
Many that i have met can  ...

Oh yeah, that is true!  There are many Chinese English teachers that leave me scratching my head... or vice versa, particularly in State schools.  Fluent would be ideal, but at least be proficient in grammar and speech.  More often than not, they cannot understand me regardless of simple, slow and articulated speech.  One of my pet peeves is when I'm "corrected" because that is not what they were taught in school by their English teacher.  My response is typically, "Was your teacher Chinese or a native English teacher?"  I'm a native speaker for crying out loud, a native of American English... and pronunciation varies greatly by region even in the US... and I speak correctly for where I'm from.  Those who are fluent in English can easily comprehend speech, syntax and context regardless of origin... that's one of the benchmarks of fluency.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 15:02:59 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-1-16 13:54
first of all any Chinese teacher of English should be fluent in English.
Many that i have met can  ...

Oh yeah, that is true!  There are many Chinese English teachers that leave me scratching my head... or vice versa, particularly in State schools.  Fluent would be ideal, but at least be proficient in grammar and speech.  More often than not, they cannot understand me regardless of simple, slow and articulated speech.  One of my pet peeves is when I'm "corrected" because that is not what they were taught in school by their English teacher.  My response is typically, "Was your teacher Chinese or a native English teacher?"  I'm a native speaker for crying out loud, a native of American English... and pronunciation varies greatly by region even in the US... and I speak correctly for where I'm from.  Those who are fluent in English can easily comprehend speech, syntax and context regardless of origin... that's one of the benchmarks of fluency.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 16:40:05 |Display all floors
English is just one of many languages. It is used for communicating.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 16:59:45 |Display all floors
It is sensible to adjust the proportion of English from  the college entrance exam instead of abolishing.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-1-16 20:13:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-17 19:17:11 |Display all floors
Why not simply understand each other? I have no wish to control you and vice versa.. We all eat shit and die, why hate when we can enjoy? Then there are those who have nothing!
I dont know, this is a shit life here on earth

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-18 09:59:26 |Display all floors
i guess the arguing point is not supposed to be 'to learn' or "not to learn". of course, everyone should learn the language that is globally acceptable for political, economic, entertaining and other reasons. Right now the language is english. In the future, if China is powerful enough, the language will be chinese. By then, everyone will learn chinese for their or their country's own good. At present I guess what's the most important is to find a way to learn in an effective, efficient and practical way.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.