Author: Sallywrj

Should English be abolished in the college entrance exam in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-16 13:09:40 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2017-1-15 18:43
Many parents and students.....?????  I do not think so.  Parents and students in China are desperate ...

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 13:14:22 |Display all floors
The big problem for Chinese students learning English is that there isn't any impetus to use it on a daily basis outside of the classroom.  There is a huge difference between proficiency and fluency.  To become fluent, one must use the language in practical situations daily... there isn't an opportunity for that.  There is also the student's desire to use the language.  You can lead a horse to water...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 13:29:11 |Display all floors
Not all vocations and professions require a proficiency or fluency in English.  As part of the College Entrance Exam, it should be elective not mandatory unless English is to be used post graduation... international business, management and finance in particular.  English could be introduced as an elective in early middle-school.  I think introducing English in Kindergartens is ridiculous and unnecessary... many of those children don't understand words in Chinese, let alone English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 13:42:09 |Display all floors
bingbingbing Post time: 2017-1-15 21:19
I don't agree with that, I think they can change the ways of teaching, let students can use English  ...

Yes, teaching methods certainly need to change.  And the types of English used needs to be considered.  Students traveling abroad to study need survival language skills, as well as those who plan on immigrating to an English speaking country... that's learning English as a second language.  Those who need English skills for a domestic vocation or profession need English as a foreign language.  The two are different and are approached differently in learning and application.  Being flexible with the language skills is a big challenge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 13:42:59 |Display all floors
Maxwell996 Post time: 2017-1-15 21:27
there not is a policy which is good for everyone ,but without learning English ,we will lost another ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 13:54:40 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2017-1-16 13:42
Yes, teaching methods certainly need to change.  And the types of English used needs to be conside ...

first of all any Chinese teacher of English should be fluent in English.
Many that i have met can not speak English, so i don't know how they expect their students to be proficient beyond the rote learning necessary for passing exams in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 14:45:10 |Display all floors
In the US, a foreign language is required for college preparation in high school, although many middle-schools are offering foreign language studies.  Typically Spanish, French and German.  It wasn't until perhaps a decade ago that Mandarin was offered as an elective in middle and high schools.  Course offerings are up to the individual school districts, not mandated by the government.

In our little community in northern Michigan, Mandarin has become quite popular... although there isn't a significant Chinese population there, perhaps a few families if that.  One primary school offers Mandarin beginning in the lower grades.  Not only language but culture as well.  Chinese teachers in Michigan must be certified to teach Mandarin and be certified to teach in Michigan.  As in China, native language speakers are preferred.  Michigan State University has a program specifically for Chinese students/undergraduates to assist them in placement of Chinese language teaching jobs in Michigan.  I believe it's in cooperation with the Confucius Institute.

In a previous job in a previous life, I worked with a lot of engineering firms in Germany and Switzerland.  I thought it would behoove me to learn German to more effectively communicate with our customers rather than relying on English.  Most of the time the blueprints, schematics and specifications I received from our customers were in German.  Thankfully, our local community college offered German language studies, and I managed to take on some special independent studies to learn advanced business and engineering language.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.