Author: knox1234

What can Americans learn from China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-1 00:29:18 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-1-10 20:45
Could you please tell us what is so good about Chinese public primary and secondary education, and w ...

Please do not impress others your IGNORANCE!
First, you are a Peranakan with no sense of what education is.
Throughout your life, you are good for not understanding.
Schools in China, Japan and South Korea have better programs than those in US, especially public primary and secondary education.
Further, it must be pointed out to you that, 'US' is a phrase as you claimed is real LAUGHTER!
It makes me relax completely whenever I recall it in your posting! It is GREAT JOY!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 01:29:10 |Display all floors
But then again,Trump's new Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, may change things big time...

The push toward charter schools didn't begin with DeVos, she only wants to speed it up.  And many of these charter schools are indeed inspired by the Chinese model.  Here is an excerpt from a letter from a former teacher at a charter school called Success Academy:

Teachers’ directions to students must follow a stubborn formula, and are enforced just as strictly. “When I say go, safely and silently walk to your desk, take out your book, and begin reading. You have ten seconds, go.” Once at their desks, students will already know the correct posture for reading; they know that to avoid a “consequence,” their feet need to be flat and still on the floor, with their backs straight against their chairs, and two hands on their books. When I allowed for a more relaxed atmosphere in my classroom, I was reprimanded and lectured about the value of posture while reading. Any wavering from Success philosophy is treated as heresy...

Most of the students I taught at Success dreaded coming to school, as did most of the teachers. It is a grueling, relentless atmosphere where every second is cherished as potential learning time, and every slip-up garners an immediate consequence. There is a small fraction of people – students and adults alike – who thrive in this extreme environment. More often, the constant pressure makes for tense relationships, high anxiety, and negative affects on health and behavior. During testing season, each Success school is shipped extra pairs of pants to keep on hand, because inevitably several third graders will be so scared to sacrifice test time for a bathroom trip, they'll have an accident. Some students react to this extreme environment in extreme ways; at the strictest Success locations, it is commonplace to hear screaming and crying in the hallways throughout the day as children as young as five break down for one reason or another.... If there was screaming in the hallway, one of my students would silently get up to close the classroom door. Other students continued working, both because they were unfazed and because they knew they would be held accountable for being on-task regardless of what was happening around them.

Every teacher imparts learning to students outside of their explicit lesson content. ... I want my students to know the importance of empathy, respect, and generosity. I want them to know that they matter, and that every other human matters too. I want them to feel empowered to speak up to an authority figure – including me – if they feel they are being treated unjustly. These are crucial social-emotional understandings, and though they may not affect test scores, they will surely affect students’ lives. Not only does the curriculum at Success ignore social-emotional learning, but the structure of the day allows for such minimal peer-to-peer interaction that students are unable to learn such skills from each other.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-1 09:07:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 13:28:50 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-3-1 00:29
Please do not impress others your IGNORANCE!
First, you are a Peranakan with no sense of what educ ...

the rote learning in these countries you mention do not make for a very creative population in China.

if the Chinese education system was so good, why do more and more Chinese parents want to send their son or daughter to America for a high-school or university education?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 14:31:16 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-3-1 13:28
the rote learning in these countries you mention do not make for a very creative population in Chi ...

Probably, you are only more than aware that Chinese parents are sending their children overseas.
Perhaps, you could like to know that many foreigners are coming to China to study from kindergarten to university level in China, too.
The number of Chinese students in overseas studies is the largest in number but per capita is not significant at all. Please look at how many students from other countries are studying overseas.
It does not mean that by sending children overseas shows that the education system of that country is at fault. Please do not mix up.
Had China education system is in total mess, then how could there be scientific achievement witnessed world wide?
Please do some analysis.
Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 14:32:40 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-3-1 13:28
the rote learning in these countries you mention do not make for a very creative population in Chi ...

Please be aware that the push for some reforms need combined factors.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-1 14:59:48 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-3-1 14:32
Please be aware that the push for some reforms need combined factors.

on the ground, many foreign teachers are trying to push a degree of modernity into China's education system, including smaller language classes and a more honest (non-cheating) academic culture, but many Chinese universities (in my experience) simply don't want to know.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.