Author: SherrySongSHSF

Is it morally acceptable for medical professionals to generate wealth? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-12-8 19:49:36 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2016-12-8 14:58
When my parents were young it was not uncommon for a doctor to come to your house or go out of their ...

We have one of the best health care systems in the world and you know it

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2016-12-8 23:36:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-9 07:24:59 |Display all floors
Why do Chinese like to flaunt wealth, if not for face? That's what I mean, the root of your problems is your extreme need for face culture. You put any human being under his circumstances, they would most likely do the same. It's probably the stress of being poor for so long and being looked down on, that when such people become rich, they feel the need to flaunt it. Study psychology. It's not people that are bad, but it's because of suffering. It's a societal problem, rather than an individual problem.

If you don't allow doctors to become rich, you won't attract the very best doctors. The ideal is that doctors love to heal and help others and would do it for free. But in this day and age, how many years of university study do you need to become a doctor? (That is if China is like other countries, I'm not sure about that) So it's not a job for the most talented healers, but only for the best academic students. This is your problem, your screening process. Your most talented healers probably didn't attend medical school and don't have a license to practice. So what capable person that invested a lot in education wants to be poorly paid in a society where money is so important for face? It's true for all fields. If you pay little, you get little. Under communism, you actually wanted something for nothing. But for nothing, you also got nothing. That's why Chinese society stagnated.

You need to treat people well, if you want them to contribute back to society from their heart. If people are treated poorly, then it's every man for himself. Everyone has to look after themselves to survive, who cares about the other fellow? Love sounds so cliche, but it is really the key to all your problems. Try to let your motive for whatever action be based on love.

So there is a societal problem, and it is only the exceptional individuals that can rise above it.  We have created a poor model of society, and individuals mostly suffer living in it. Why does life need so much money? The best things in life are free, but why is it so expensive to stay alive nowadays? The society is out of control because people aren't happy even with money. Happy people aren't going to flaunt their wealth. Happy people aren't going to cheat, scam, and hurt others. You know that anyone that flaunts wealth feels empty inside, they are looking for validation from others.

It's a crazy consumerism society we live in. Who's going to be the next great world leader that says enough of this sh*t, and help create a whole new way of life.

In the end, whatever you do, people need to be happy to behave well. A happy doctor is not going to overcharge his patients. A happy doctor is not going to be greedy. But in the end, the medical profession is too restrictive nowadays...I really think that the most talented doctors don't have a license to practice, and therefore you don't know about them. Whatever happened to natural remedies that are mostly free. In the end, you can't save a life that is ready to go, anyway. And you can't kill anyone who is not ready to die. This is the most wondrous fact of life that most people have forgotten. So really if you know how to live, it's not expensive to stay healthy.

Chinese are so crazy about paying for expensive food as well. Last I saw some dried Chinese delicacy piece of food costing US$20,000.  That small piece could probably only last one meal, for about 4 people.

Yeah, who's going to help turn this crazy world of ours around? It does start with love, though. I think the Chinese government does have the power to turn the world around. I wish it would take the lead, and change China back into the greatest country in the world, without so many people suffering needlessly. It should not be so expensive to live. It has been my dream that was shattered upon my arrival here. Though I would still love to see that. But first give hope and bring back the traditional characters, please.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-9 19:01:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 00:49:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ChanRasjid at 2016-12-10 00:52

Edit: I don't mean literally free health care - but free to those with no money.  
It is OK for doctors to be rich, but unethical for doctors to "generate" wealth.

Singapore happen to have one of the best model for "everything"    including healthcare. A doctor in Singapore is well respected and, being a professional, has a middle income salary. If he is smart in picking stocks, he may become rich(or poorer) through investing his savings. But a doctor's "generation" of income is only through working as a doctor - no doctor who is honest can hope to be a millionaire through his doctor income. A doctor in private practice may be a millionaire, but it may go to show that the country's healthcare system may be very wrong.

A government exist to organized human society and one of the ideal is to provide universal healthcare service - free! This is what China should aim for. But many countries in the world happen to wrongly follow models borrowed from the West (someone mentioned Cuba - it may be one of the rare country able to think creatively). The Western models in healthcare may be seriously flawed and corrupt - healthcare should never, never be commercialized. But in the West, almost everything is controlled by "profit and greed". You have the stock market, then you build another layer and deal with trading "futures" on the stocks, then having bets based on repackaging financial risks and selling the repakages - crazy world!  

A doctors training by western standard requires usually a 6-year degree + 2-year in-house training. But we don't need such doctors who 90% of the time prescribes antibiotics! So some "bare-foot" type doctors certification - but many of them - may be good for China. But China seems not able to shake off looking towards trends set by the West.

Chan Rasjid Kah Chew.
Singapore

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 01:11:59 |Display all floors
aloha123 Post time: 2016-12-9 07:24
Why do Chinese like to flaunt wealth, if not for face? That's what I mean, the root of your problems ...
If you don't allow doctors to become rich, you won't attract the very best doctors...

This is very, very wrong! If you prefer money to healing, go trade in forex. A good social system should allow people to flourish naturally - doctors should have a stable salary; don't expect him to sell his organs to heal his patients! A doctor's salary should be better than that of a nurse, and a nurse's should be better than that of a street cleaner.

Chinese are so crazy about paying for expensive food as well. Last I saw some dried Chinese delicacy piece of food costing US$20,000.  That small piece could probably only last one meal, for about 4 people.

They may be getting better. I think the Singapore government has now discouraged eating sharkfins. I'm not sure in China.

Chan Rasjid Kah Chew.
Singapore

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 07:41:30 |Display all floors
ChanRasjid Post time: 2016-12-10 01:11
This is very, very wrong! If you prefer money to healing, go trade in forex. A good social system ...

I don't believe you're from Singapore, because you talk like a communist Mainlander.

I'm not talking about ideals, I'm talking about this current reality. In *your idea* of an ideal world, you can take all possessions from everyone, don't let anyone own anything, and make everyone the same and expect them to all work the same. Give hard-working and lazy people the same outcome. That's what communism was about, wasn't it. But it didn't work, did it? Come on, even I know that.

People work hard because they expect REWARDS, whether internal or external. Some people aren't interested in finance or business, but they want to become doctors, and make good living/money while at it. It's called a win-win. Why can't you help people and become rich at the same time? Why must it be one or the other. It's not easy to finish medical school. If you pay them poorly, the potentially good ones will go into other fields. What sensible person is going to invest so much money in education, only to get a mediocre pay. No one, babe. That's why China fell apart. You didn't want to pay people what was owed to them. This is reality. Since you don't want to pay them, you will get only those with nowhere else to go and no other choice to take.

Now since it's a healing profession, I agree that it's unethical to overcharge patients. Your problem is, you worry about people becoming rich. Why is it any of your business? This post didn't focus on overcharging people, but you hate that people are getting rich. You only care that the doctor flaunts his wealth. Why don't you talk about how he treats his patients.

Now, this explanation just goes along with what is going on in the world. Personally, I don't agree with how our world currently works. I think it's all wrong starting from our educational system worldwide. I don't like the modern health care system, nor the modern educational system. I think health care and education should be given freely, preferably not even needing tax subsidies. But as I said, it's expensive to live nowadays, and this world runs on money, so that's not going to be possible.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.