Author: SEARU

What is the relationship between master and apprentice? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-10-18 10:30:59 |Display all floors
人之患, 善为人师. ---------It is worrysome if you like to lesson others!   (May I translate the Chinese saying in this way? In fact I have been puzzled by its original meaning for many years!)

Maybe most adults specially those teachers think that they know much more than children so they are qualified to give ‘lectures’ to the later!

But we have ignore a basic rule that kids are the most powerful learners and some of our foolish words have played negative role on the next generation! ---------Such as “You must recite the poem without any condition!” or “You are too stupid!”

Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-18 10:46:33 |Display all floors
Dracarys Post time: 2016-10-18 10:16
one day master . father entire life ..

Yes, this is an old Chinese folk saying "一日为师终生为父" which can show the wonderful relationship between the two generations!  
On one hand, the master(teacher)should take his apprentice as his own child and be strict with the later on all aspects and let the pupil grasp all of the technique!

On the other hand, the young should treat his master as parent since the later has offered the powerful ability for living and success!

But now I think it is hard to others' father or mum since the adult must have handsome wisdom before the kid!

Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-18 11:21:33 |Display all floors
I don't think I have done well on the relationship with students.
In 1990s, I taught wireless and had paid much energy on the ‘good’ children who were interested in my lesson. They are so thankful to me that one of them told the school staff that I was unforgettable for his success at the report meeting on graduates‘ achievements!  

I also notice that those ‘bad’ students, who were so naughty that they often made troubles for my class, now they are great entrepreneurs and one of them owns a big factory that is larger than our school-yard! ---------I think it was wrong for me to emphasize too much only on professional skill while ignore other useful subjects such as business-management!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-18 16:10:09 |Display all floors
In that university I attended on report meeting hosted by Mr. Shao who was quite talkative with abroad-study experience. He and his classmate Mr.Cheng Jing-run and other five scholars were taught by Mr. Hua Luo-geng.  All of them were state-level scientists who did research work led by Mr. Hua.   They often discussed professional questions together in a family-like atmosphere. ---------Pofessor Shao said it had taken them 13 days to learn one complicated theorem!  He praised   Mr.Hua as a great leader on science who always encouraged the young to do exploring work! ----------
He explained it in this way:  In ancient time, it was enough for a master to teach his apprentice how to make candlesticks and how to light it in the old way (without modern match)!----------But it can not be always going like this forever  for human!  Or who would invent electric light?

Let's draw some conclusion:
So a clever teacher should tell all he knows in an art way through which he could arouse pupils‘ interest and let them become strong on research. Kowledge is limited and how to get knowledge is unlimited!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-18 18:09:50 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2016-10-18 16:10
In that university I attended on report meeting hosted by Mr. Shao who was quite talkative with abro ...

students and apprentices have to understand that they must put in time and effort to become proficient in a skill, particularly if it is a practical skill such as apprentices are expected to learn.

Life is not all about entertainment and being able to deal with dull, monotonous or mundane tasks is an important lesson.
sadly both teachers and students think that being entertained is an essential part of learning, however that is not always the case.
Nor should students think that the teacher is their parent and expect the hand-holding many parents still give to their adult child.
Teachers are not parents and therefore should not be expected to 'entertain' their students the whole time or spoon-feed the students.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-18 20:11:54 |Display all floors
Maybe more important than the relationship between parent and child.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-19 00:04:52 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2016-10-15 15:58
As vocational teacher, I must have deep theory from university and try to teach it in simple oral la ...

You call your students 'stupid'?
Why would you do that?

Not all people are academic or get high scores in examinations, and that does not make them 'stupid'.
People have different aptitudes and abilities, and different ways of learning. Not everyone can understand nuclear physics, yet those who can't are not 'stupid'

Practical subjects need the students to practice in order to master them.
Like language learning, students need to practice on their own in order to improve.

such theory is only useful when put into practice.
Like expecting students to become fluent English speakers even if they don't speak the language.
A good teacher (or master) allows the student to learn through their own experiences and mistakes.
the fault is in expecting that everything can be learnt through book and rote learning alone.

I would not trust an electrician who can not change a plug, even if they passed a written exam with top marks on the topic.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.