Author: dostoevskydr

Rare Historical Photos That Will Blow Your Mind ( Part 2 of 17) [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-10-1 18:03:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2016-10-1 18:07

18. Gandhi’s letter to Hitler

A real letter sent from Gandhi to Hitler in July of 1939, which reads:

18.jpg

DEAR FRIEND,

Friends have been urging me to write to you for the sake of humanity. But I have resisted their request, because of the feeling that any letter from me would be an impertinence. Something tells me that I must not calculate and that I must make my appeal for whatever it may be worth.

It is quite clear that you are today the one person in the world who can prevent a war which may reduce humanity to a savage state. Must you pay that price for an object however worthy it may appear to you to be? Will you listen to the appeal of one who has deliberately shunned the method of war not without considerable success? Any way I anticipate your forgiveness, if I have erred in writing to you.

I remain,
Your sincere friend,
M. K. Gandhi

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-10-1 18:39:59 |Display all floors
19. A post-liberation meeting

When the 3rd Armored Division of the US Army liberated Buchenwald, this Russian inmate points an identifying and accusing finger at a Nazi guard who was especially cruel towards the prisoners.

19.jpg

The photo was taken on April 14, 1945. Estimates place Buchenwald’s death toll at over 56,000 people. It was built on Etter Mountain, near Weimar, in July of 1937. It was one of the original concentration camps built on German soil and also the largest.
Buchenwald held 250,000 prisoners while it was open. More than twice as many deaths occurred there as in the Dachau concentration camp.

Contd.........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-10-1 18:44:14 |Display all floors
20. A tagged-up fighter jet

The Navy had a funny tradition – every time a plane would land on the wrong carrier, it would be covered with graffiti before being returned.

20.jpg

There’s also a historical rivalry between the branches of the military, hence the “Must be Air Force” slogan.
Moments of levity like this were important to break up the monotony of life in the military, and also to raise morale during a dark and frightening time.

Contd......(Part 3)

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-10-1 20:16:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.