Views: 4098|Replies: 9

100 days, tradition or new idea? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-9-26 08:01:19 |Display all floors
100 days 2.jpg

Yesterday we attended a celebration in a Shanghai restaurant, it was to mark 100 days since the birth of our neighbours first grandchild

100 days 3.jpg

I have come across people have a party 30 days after the birth of a new baby, this was traditional as most people were kept away from newborns for the first 30 days as the baby was at greatest risk of infection at that time but this 100 days thing is new to me and infact my wife had never heard of it either.

100 days.jpg

Is this something that is traditional in parts of China or is it another marketing ploy for restaurants to extract large ammounts of cash for holding such gatherings?

I welcome comments from others as to this in China and indeed for others from overseas to comment on what happens in their countries.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-9-26 15:05:31 |Display all floors
It is a tradition to celebrate the baby's 100 day in China. It is an important day because the celebration represents the wish that the baby will live 100 years. In rural China, the baby often wear a silver longevity pendant (in Chinese called Longevity Lock) on the neck. Unfortunately, the celebrations have become more and more materialistic, as money in red envelopes is given instead of buying the kid a gift.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-26 18:23:31 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2016-9-26 15:05
It is a tradition to celebrate the baby's 100 day in China. It is an important day because the celeb ...

I hav an old silver longevity pendant that was a great gift given by my grandfather‘s friend from the Harbin City!’ ----------which pattern is quite fine!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-9-26 18:57:59 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2016-9-26 15:05
It is a tradition to celebrate the baby's 100 day in China. It is an important day because the celeb ...

You say in China but is this all of China as my wife is from Shandong, her family all live in Shenyang now and one of our workers is from Guilin, they all know of the 30 day celebration but non had heard of the 100 days one until recently.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-26 18:59:46 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2016-9-26 18:23
I hav an old silver longevity pendant that was a great gift given by my grandfather‘s friend from ...

certainly in the South of China a new baby was often given a silver copy of a padlock to wear with long life symbols on it, it was said that the lock was for security through a long life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-26 19:50:14 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-9-26 18:59
certainly in the South of China a new baby was often given a silver copy of a padlock to wear with ...

Only 'the South of China'?  The story of silver thing took place the North-east of China!
You say so just because you live there!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-27 07:00:04 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2016-9-26 19:50
Only 'the South of China'?  The story of silver thing took place the North-east of China!
You say ...

The silver lock idea I learned in the South of China, I have been more places than Shanghai where I live and is Shanghai North? I guess not, it is more central

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.