Author: pnp

The Chinese Are Ashamed Of Their Chinese Names   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-7-3 11:44:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2016-7-3 11:55
seneca Post time: 2016-7-2 18:35
The custom of freshly-married wives adopting their husband's surname is dying fast. I don't know a ...

'The custom of freshly-married wives adopting their husband's surname is dying fast'

Not so fast in China though; many Chinese women readily give up their ancestral names once they marry foreigners! It's a fashionable thing to them. They are quick to get rid of their last link with the Chinese tradition.  They have snared foreign husbands and must let the world know that, so the Chinese ancestral names go too!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 11:48:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2016-7-3 13:22
futsanglung Post time: 2016-7-2 18:36
I must admit that we use English names in the office ( I am the only non Chinese there) as all our ...

'the eldest is at Uni in the UK and only uses a Chinese name unlike most of her classmates.'

Good upbringing! Wish Chinese parents do likewise; many even choose western names for their little ones!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 11:51:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2016-7-3 13:24
seneca Post time: 2016-7-2 18:25
You keep spouting foolish beliefs and myths, Pee N Poo!

I have a Chinese wife who has adopted an ...

'I have a Chinese wife who has adopted an English name but only I and a few friends know her by it;'

You have an inflated ego; as if your wife represents all Chinese women!  For every one Chinese woman like your wife, I can show you at least ten who do just the opposite!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 11:52:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-7-2 18:25
You keep spouting foolish beliefs and myths, Pee N Poo!

I have a Chinese wife who has adopted an ...

'I miss your rant about foreigners having to adopt a Chinese name,'

When and where did I say that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 11:56:20 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-7-2 16:47
The wife is also a foreigner like you are a foreigner to me

I am referring to Chinese women with foreign husbands.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 13:27:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-7-2 18:27
You talk too much and do not take enough time to breathe or think, buddy. You just said that Chine ...

'this name NEVER replaces a CHIESE SURNAME.'

You seem to have misunderstood me. I never said they replace their Chinese names officially; they can't do that even if they wanted to, but they are quick to introduce themselves with their English names!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-3 13:31:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-7-2 18:29
Why do't you get an education so you don't make a fool of yourself in our Forum?

I have already e ...

'People like you would be truly disparaging Chinese pupils if you pronounced their given names in your alien way.'

I make it a point to get it right, unlike many foreigners like you who make  a joke of themselves when pronouncing Chinese names.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.