Author: sunnylin01

Time to raise the bar for foreign English teachers?   [Copy link] 中文

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-29 10:39:15 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-6-28 14:29
I questioned my younger kids English teacher about this in the past ( she is Chinese ) and she sai ...

I've run into that, too
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-29 10:54:21 |Display all floors
As far as I know, Hubei province is piloting a program in which prospective teachers must substantiate their degree - a sealed transcript, or maybe an official letter. I'm not sure what exactly the criteria is. I handed over a sealed transcript of my degree and am still waiting for response on whether that would be satisfactory.
As far as overhauling the quality of English and Englishteaching in China, here are a few ideas:
1. One big problem is that, to begin with, there is no standard English. China should insist on accent/region neutral English speakers and choose a standard of English writing - Oxford, American or Australian (the 3 main)
2. Engage a team of native English speakers conversant in the chosen standardized English to proof any text - book, exam, etc.
3. Stop teaching English in Chinese (beyond the first few grades)!
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-29 11:02:40 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-6-28 21:29
I have said this hundreds times and no one has ever bothered to justify this: why do they print so ...

They can't even make a proper sentence, how can they write essays?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-6-29 11:05:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-6-29 11:06:30 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-29 15:24:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by BlondeAmber at 2016-6-29 15:41
exportedkiwi Post time: 2016-6-29 05:26
That's precisely why, for the most part, I worked in accredited colleges and universities. China i ...

Even 'accredited' universities in China are not free from cheating and dishonesty when it comes to dealing with foreign teachers.
I am speaking from personal experience when i mention a Chinese staff member who embezzled from FT salaries for years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-29 15:32:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by BlondeAmber at 2016-6-29 16:23
teamkrejados Post time: 2016-6-29 10:54
As far as I know, Hubei province is piloting a program in which prospective teachers must substantia ...

'As far as you know....'

That is the problem, there are so many vague rumours and inconsistencies on the requirements for foreign teachers emanating from the Chinese education bureau that change with increasing frequency and undermine any credibility they have as a stable work environment.

Outline clear requirements for Ft's and enforce them - it is as simple as that.
Likewise stamp out those employers who hire illegally.
There is nothing more contemptuous than illegal schools getting off lightly due to connections and guanxi - it is similar to condoning cheating.
It is the illegal employers who are most likely to employ illegal and unqualified teachers, so the problem is NOT the fault of the 'backpacking' teachers, but the lax application of the law.
By punishing the illegal FT's only, illegal hiring practices are been seen to be condoned, and undermines any credibility the Chinese education authorities appear to have.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.