Author: samlam

Should America apologize to Japan for dropping the atomic bombs?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-5-20 22:45:26 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2016-5-20 11:10
America should apologize to all of Asia by pulling their military bases out of Japan and South Korea ...

Why? So China can expand even more? So North Korea can start launching its missiles at any of its neighbours when they tick off ol' hamburger head? So China can invade Taiwan, and really make it a part of the mommy-land?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 00:35:16 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2016-5-20 22:38
While we're at it, let's get the Spanish to apologize for wiping out the Aztecs and Inca's, African  ...

...and NOT to forget the tens of thousands of American Indians the US Government killed off, to make room for the settlers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 03:59:59 |Display all floors

On July 25th, Harry S Truman wrote in his diary:

"This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital [Kyoto] or the new [Tokyo]. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one."

For several months, the U.S. had dropped more than 63 million leaflets across Japan warning civilians of air raids.

Even with the warnings, Japanese opposition to the war remained ineffective. In general, the Japanese regarded the leaflet messages as truthful, but anyone who was caught in possession of one was arrested. Leaflet texts were prepared by recent Japanese prisoners of war because they were thought to be the best choice "to appeal to their compatriots".

At the time of its bombing, Hiroshima was a city of both industrial and military significance. A number of military units were located nearby, the most important of which was the headquarters of Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's Second General Army, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan, and was located in Hiroshima Castle. Hata's command consisted of some 400,000 men. Also present in Hiroshima were the headquarters of the 59th Army, the 5th Division and the 224th Division, a recently formed mobile unit. In total, over 40,000 military personnel were stationed in Hiroshima.

Hiroshima was the primary target of the first nuclear bombing mission on August 6, with Kokura and Nagasaki as alternative targets.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 04:00:00 |Display all floors

On July 25th, Harry S Truman wrote in his diary:

"This weapon is to be used against Japan between now and August 10th. I have told the Sec. of War, Mr. Stimson, to use it so that military objectives and soldiers and sailors are the target and not women and children. Even if the Japs are savages, ruthless, merciless and fanatic, we as the leader of the world for the common welfare cannot drop that terrible bomb on the old capital [Kyoto] or the new [Tokyo]. He and I are in accord. The target will be a purely military one."

For several months, the U.S. had dropped more than 63 million leaflets across Japan warning civilians of air raids.

Even with the warnings, Japanese opposition to the war remained ineffective. In general, the Japanese regarded the leaflet messages as truthful, but anyone who was caught in possession of one was arrested. Leaflet texts were prepared by recent Japanese prisoners of war because they were thought to be the best choice "to appeal to their compatriots".

At the time of its bombing, Hiroshima was a city of both industrial and military significance. A number of military units were located nearby, the most important of which was the headquarters of Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's Second General Army, which commanded the defense of all of southern Japan, and was located in Hiroshima Castle. Hata's command consisted of some 400,000 men. Also present in Hiroshima were the headquarters of the 59th Army, the 5th Division and the 224th Division, a recently formed mobile unit. In total, over 40,000 military personnel were stationed in Hiroshima.

Hiroshima was the primary target of the first nuclear bombing mission on August 6, with Kokura and Nagasaki as alternative targets.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 06:23:07 |Display all floors
Apologies for mass mass murders does not bring back the dead or reduce the suffering , but in the long term it heals the wounds.
When a nation recognizes its wrongdoings to other people, it is a way to tell ...
"We shall not do it again" and it is important.
Let's recognizes the fact... that we live in relative peaceful times now, compare to  ..40 or 60 years ago....
I am from France and I know that for once in a long time I no longer to have to fear our past long times enemies , England and Germany.My parents could not say so. They received bombs from both.....
Let's make sure that we do not have to go throughout those hideous times again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 07:35:49 |Display all floors
No, why would he apologise to Japan, they welcome him with open arms...what Obama and Bush must do, is book a flight to the Mid East and North Africa and apologise to those countries which they messed-up.  
Human lives mean nothing when the western warmongers see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-21 11:00:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by messi30 at 2016-5-21 11:02
cmknight Post time: 2016-5-20 22:38
While we're at it, let's get the Spanish to apologize for wiping out the Aztecs and Inca's, African  ...

Agreed
And Voice also should apologize to me for banning me several times from this forum
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.