Views: 14705|Replies: 38

Why Chinese students are heading to the US?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-5-16 10:00:12 |Display all floors
The number of Chinese students studying in the US is at a record high, but with tuition fees set to rise, does it pay to attend university in the US? What’s studying in the US like? Are American schools far better than Chinese ones?

(Global Times) Many Chinese parents dream of sending their children abroad for university, and in some ways, I am thankful because, after all, this is the reason I'm able to live and teach in China. But I must say I do not understand their reasoning.

As a graduate of an American university and a parent, I question why anyone would rush to send their child to the US for college. Working in China has shown me that Chinese schools are better than American schools on so many levels. I think Chinese society recognizes this, yet they still work so hard to send their children to college abroad. Why?

I posed this question to some Chinese parents, and their answers all seem the same - vague, and slightly incorrect. Many of them claim their children can get a better education and a better job with an American degree.

I have a hard time believing that one cannot get a good education at a Chinese college. I also think the idea that attending college in the US guarantees their children a better future is slightly off. What I can guarantee is that studying in the US will take a massive amount of money. Colleges are often criticized for becoming too much like big business rather than institutions of higher learning. Many charge outrageous fees for simply being an international student.

Sometimes people see me with my children and ask why we are in China. I tell them I want my children to attend school in China.

Chinese students are far ahead of American students, and this is widely accepted to be true. I'm one of the rare few who will openly say I don't want my children to attend an American university because I believe their money can be better spent. Many American students spend upward of $20,000 a year to attend college in hopes of landing a job with a starting salary of $30,000 after graduation. It would take around three years to recoup what they spent. Some students will get paid more, but not all.

I think, in the future, we will start to see more people looking into universities in other countries to get more for their money. Parents and potential students need to weigh their options. I think the idea of the US being "the" place to attend university should be examined more closely.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-5-16 10:22:45 |Display all floors
You are correct. Chinese universities are just as good, if not better, than their counter parts in the US.
Students sent to the US will be brainwashed with revised history. The ones who can be coaxed to
believe the stories they are told will often be convinced to stay in the USA.
The US likes nothing more than easily molded students who will spend the rest of their lives working
hard trying to realize a false American dream. Many of the ones who return to China will find themselves
ostracized because they believe their thoughts are superior to those who received Chinese degrees.
Sending a student to the US or any western nation for a college education is a waste of money unless
they are sent to study in the US.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-5-16 11:25:00 |Display all floors
Some of the parents in China ask their kids to go abroad aimlessly. On the other hand, kids have no their own ideas. They are curious about it and follow their parents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-16 11:39:13 |Display all floors
It is a matter of "face". Anything that is from the "west" is held up as a trophy for everyone else to see. It is also due to herd mentality.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-5-16 18:09:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-16 20:26:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Boston101 at 2016-5-16 21:50

Interesting topic. My daughter was born in China but is an American citizen (her mother, my laopo, is Chinese; so she is mixed). We want her to be truly bilingual and culturally divergent. I own a condo in Boston, my laopo owns one in Beijing. We decided that our daughter will go to American schools but will spend summers in Beijing. My next door neighbors in Boston are Chinese and their daughter was born in the US. They too are sending their daughter to American schools and summers in China. It seems that the consensus between us is that even though the Chinese schools are very good, they lack in creativity and application to real life situations. At the end of the day, what does matter is that they do go to college/university and find a job to survive. Remember that Mom and Dad won’t be around forever, so they need to learn.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-16 21:12:46 |Display all floors
Because, despite their protestations of nationalist pride, the Americans are founding the prototype of the coming inter-ethnic world culture. The students understand that the future of the world is not being written in China with its dense Han majority population in which cultural blending cannot occur. Rather, it is in the United States where all races and cultures mix (with some teething-problems, of course) that the united human culture of the near future is forming fastest.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.