Author: spiderman006

How to save my family from pyramid selling?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-5-10 08:54:33 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2016-5-9 17:36
Can you not recognise emotional blackmail when you see it?
just because she is a family member does  ...

Firstly, thanks for your suggestions. and I will follow your direction to deal with it. I give up to persuade her to quit the scheme.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-10 09:01:55 |Display all floors
Pyramid selling is illegal in many countries. The reason for this is that it attracts the poorest and most vulnerable people to invest money with little chance of any significant return. The creators of each pyramid are the only real winners. The attraction of pyramid selling is in the potential cumulative effects. On paper it sounds wonderful but the reality is disaster. The products that are for sale are not important; it is the money invested by the sellers that count. The advertising strategies used to get more people to join are often blatant and sometimes intimidating.
Many years ago my brother in law invited me to dinner. Where we were going was a secret (the policy of the company for obvious reasons). At a remote hotel I was shown into a large hall full of people welcoming me, and a few others with clapping. Even then I knew something was uncomfortably wrong.
The "performance" began rather like a religious ceremony, and followed by a film about the miraculous products for sale (that I had never heard of). As a teacher of English, I was aware of advertising strategies. For example appeals to various human instincts (maternal instincts, sexuality, health and safety etc) The advertising and speeches played on every single technique I knew about.
When I tried to leave at the interval several large men stopped me and asked why I was leaving, where I was going and advising me to stay. Eventually I was able to leave, but on my way out I was aware of the most obvious "plants" in the audience who were "joining" the system. It was so obvious, yet some of the potential new members were clearly falling for it, pledging £2000 each to join.
After the meeting my brother in law joined me at the bar and I explained my feelings, saying I would be the first to congratulate him when he got his BMW. I did not get a dinner, and he never got his BMW.. and he lost £4000 that he had paid for himself and my sister to join the company.
I suspect that pyramid selling will be a problem in China now that business and prosperity is increasing. There will be a lot of poor and uneducated people losing their life savings in these schemes, in the vain hope of easy profit.  
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-10 13:28:04 |Display all floors
Ban it and enforcement

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-10 22:01:04 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2016-5-10 09:01
Pyramid selling is illegal in many countries. The reason for this is that it attracts the poorest an ...

The tricky businesses have existed in China for at least twenty years and countless people have been cheated. I hate it although I have never involved it!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-11 09:01:13 |Display all floors
Now that more people are being raised out of poverty, their hopes for a prosperous future easily leads to a willingness to accept what seems to be an easy way to prosper. Now is a wonderful time for corrupt people to offer pyramid selling to line their pockets with gullible people's money.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-5-11 20:46:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-12 17:05:42 |Display all floors
The company I had the misfortune to go to was American too. It was called "Eugenics" . They supposedly sold cosmetics too.  Another one I came across was "Golden products" selling household cleaning chemicals. As I walked out of the latter a man stopped me and said I must be stupid and tried to push me back inside!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.