Author: samlam

Should America transplant American democracy to the Middle East?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-5-8 08:28:15 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2016-5-8 01:57
Incorrect, back to school ...

How many parties, besides the big 3, are there that actually matter?

Use magic tools Report

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-5-8 08:30:14 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2016-5-6 17:18
America is not a democracy. It is a two party system and only people with money can win. If you are  ...

A good recommendation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-8 08:40:47 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2016-5-8 07:53
As pro American as I am, I have to agree with what you've written.

I think that it's high time th ...

In many of the international affairs, I can't imagine what the situation would be like when America withdraw behind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-8 08:46:23 |Display all floors
samlam Post time: 2016-5-8 08:40
In many of the international affairs, I can't imagine what the situation would be like when Americ ...

That's just it samlam, many here are vociferously opposed to US involvement around the world but if they (the US) withdrew and focused on internal issues, who or what would fill the void. Despite their many wrongs, they are a force for some sort of stability however tenuous it may be.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-8 08:57:03 |Display all floors
ztoa789 Post time: 2016-5-8 07:41
It is not about one party or two parties or multiple parties, it is not about what kind of ways peop ...

A party represents a group of people. It sometimes has stronger influence than that you imagine. I don't agree with your opinion that one party representing 99% is ignored. The most important point is that a government should balance the profit and let more people share the common profit together.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-5-8 10:16:29 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2016-5-7 16:04
An example of democracy in action in China. A few years back, there was a grassroots vote to decid ...

That's funny because the main focus for any candidate for office in the west is fund raising.
And you thought you could convince anyone that votes are for sale in the west.

But in the end it doesn't make any difference. Western nations are owned and ruled by the rich who
make up the oligarchies of the west.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-8 11:43:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ztoa789 at 2016-5-8 11:48
samlam Post time: 2016-5-8 08:57
A party represents a group of people. It sometimes has stronger influence than that you imagine. I ...

One, you think politicians and activists want to be politicians and activists because they want to help people. That is only true ONLY AFTER their own interests are taken care of.

Two, in lot of so-called democratic countries, the super rich and big corps are too powerful, offending them will mean ending their political careers for politicians and activists. Let me give you several examples :
   (1) Eliot Spitzer, he offended Wall street. What happened to him.
   (2) Brooksley Born, she was replaced by Greenspan after only one term, because she made Wall street uncomfortable.
   (3) OWS, did you see any activists tried to lead the protest? you may say people had different view, but not a single activist. What does it tell you about activists?

Because of two points above, politicians will take care of their own businesses first and are not allowed to offend the super rich and big corps. How do elected politicians help people? getting shares from other 99%. A group of 99% is allowed to have opinions against other groups of 99%, they are allowed to fight among themselves through the politicians they elected, but they are not allowed to have opinions against top 1%. If 99% have common interest against top 1%, it will be ignored or handled with iron fist.

It is not about one party or two parties or multiple parties, it is not about what kind of ways people elect politicians. It is how wealth is distributed, it is who government's money works for.

Among the super rich (big corps), the families of politicians, people who work hard and fair to earn a better lives, parasites, who do the government take care of first, second, third, etc.

Whether it is in Britain or US, whether it is in India or Russia in 90s, government officiers works for the super rich and big corps first. The elected politicians won't sacrifice the interest of super rich and themselves for 99%.

The so called democracy is a just a platform to let 99% to fight against each other over the crumbs left by the super rich and politicians, it doesn't matter there are two parties or 100 parties, it doesn't matter it is representative democracy or not.

Don't waste so much energy on how this system is different from others, down to earth, you have to check results. So focusing on the distribution of wealth. If two systems have similar distribution of wealth, then essentially they are the same.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.