Author: sunnylin01

Who are responsible for parachute kids in the US? [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-4-28 13:25:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-28 17:04:43 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-4-28 13:25
I do not understand your rationale in criticising the school Xinlei attended: it is NOT A SCHOOL'S ...

Chinese people do too have social skills, it's just not the western kind. Oh, yeah, you bet Chinese people have social skills. I've seen them in action. Chinese people are even better at business than the westerners, and it takes good social skills to be able to do business well.

Troubled kids will be trouble no matter where they live. So they brought their bad behavior that would have been acceptable in China (demerit points don't count for such serious offences) to a place where it's considered criminal behavior. So what's really terrible here is that such criminal behavior is allowed in China and among students.

Good students will go to the US and graduate without problems. Will you hear about them on the news? No. So it's that one sided reporting again. So I don't think the Chinese school system is at fault here as you are trying to suggest, at least not in the way in which you are trying to suggest. If the school system is at fault, then it is because they teach that if you're going to commit a crime, then first consider if you are okay with the punishment. I think the student said something like, they thought they were just going to get some demerit points. So it's okay to torture people because the punishment is nothing. They don't teach that it's wrong to hurt others, period.

But only certain people will accept that kind of mentality in the first place. I'm sure that there are Chinese people that won't hurt others as well, even though all they will get is "demerit points." So it's more about what kind of people they already are.

Sunny I think just echos what the Chinese generally think. I think her English is excellent, in that I can understand completely what she is saying on the first read. And she is not long-winded. So I appreciate her comments.

I think Chinese people have chosen a completely unique way of life for themselves, after isolating themselves from the rest of the world. It looks backwards if you're used to something different, but it's about being tolerant of different ideas, I guess. I guess if the North Koreans are let out, we will hear about some pretty outrageous things, that seem outrageous to outsiders, but to them, they've chosen that way of life, seems normal to them.

Sunny's comment comes from a belief that the self has no power, that the self has nothing and is nothing, and that's why all responsibility is placed on the government, the institutions, the schools, etc. Once Chinese people are done with that idea, they will move on to something different.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-28 17:06:45 |Display all floors
In the meantime I will wait outside of China.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-4-28 21:16:48 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-29 07:28:31 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-4-28 21:16
I am more than puzzled by your post. In particular I wonder if you actually know what's going on ...

All Chinese parents? No, right? A group of them, I believe you. They still have communist ideas. You can see communist attitudes by the Chinese people, even on this forum. I saw it since day 1, just didn't know what it was. Well, if that's their choice, what can you do.

I've seen this newspiece before, and one student perpetrator said why they tortured their classmate. They (i forget if it's a he or a she so i'm using the neutral they) said that they thought all they were going to get for the crime was demerit points from the school. So that's how they do things in China. You go torture your classmate, and all you get are demerit points on your record. You don't get expelled, or arrested for assault, etc, etc. That's one point, torturing people is allowed in China.

The other point is, in China, rewards and punishments control people's behavior. They have no internal moral compass. So they first consider what punishment they will get if they get caught, decide that the punishment is light, so they go ahead and do it. They don't think that it's wrong to torture people, period. It doesn't matter what the punishment is. ...You can even see it on this forum, they're trying to think up of more severe punishments to deal with crimes and misdemeanors. They don't think to teach people why something is wrong, or to teach people to have an internal sense of direction. They never think to depend on people's conscience. Or to teach people to develop a conscience.

I've met some fine Mainlanders that could pass for an overseas Chinese that left China before the communist takeover. They're polite, kind, well-mannered. They're not thinking of ways to take advantage of you. They're generous. So my third point is, people are what they are. A good person is not going to be corrupted by an immoral society. An immoral society just brings out the immorality of people who already have a tendency towards immorality, because of poor upbringing, and not because it's their nature.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-29 20:41:24 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-1 07:17:03 |Display all floors
leho Post time: 2016-4-28 18:28
All Chinese parents? No, right? A group of them, I believe you. They still have communist ideas. Y ...

This is interesting. You imply that the years of dictatorship (communist) made Chinese people incapable of ordinary human morals. I can see that there might be SOME examples of that; but I doubt that EVERYONE would be that affected. I have read about many Chinese people who showed moral judgment even DURING the Cultural Revolution.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.