Author: sunnylin01

Who are responsible for parachute kids in the US? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-4-27 20:36:04 |Display all floors
In the United States, and its territories, the legal age of majority is 18, with the exception of Alabama (19), Nebraska (19), Puerto Rico (21), and Mississippi (21).  The age of majority is being legally and financially responsible for their own decisions and actions, thus marking the termination of all parental legal responsibilities... in other words the age they are considered an "adult".  Parachute kids who are minors must have a legal guardian with whom they reside and have the legal responsibility for the child's health, safety and welfare.  

The age of criminal responsibility is far different... this is the age a minor can be charged with a criminal offence and be held responsible.  The age is determined by each state; the minimum age is 6 (North Carolina), however, only 15 states have set minimum ages, which range from 6 to 12 years.  States without statutory minimum ages rely on common law, which means that 7 is the minimum age in most states; for federal crimes the age has been set at 11.  Most states have developed a special juvenile justice system in parallel to the adult criminal justice system.  Do the crime, do the time.  Special entitlements for China's parachutes kids don't exist in the US, especially for the little emperors and empresses that break the laws.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-27 20:44:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by leho at 2016-4-28 06:26
sunnylin01 Post time: 2016-4-27 11:02
I know that parents are responsible for the consequences of these actions. However, the school shoul ...

God, I love it how the people in the west leave you alone. It's called freedom. The 50,000 dollars is tuition fees, it's not meant to be therapy fees. They do give support, but you need to be the one to approach them. No one's going to come after you asking how you're doing. It's the whole independence thing.

You go to school to gain knowledge, and if you get a good teacher, you might get some guidance on how to be a good person, but that's not part of the requirement. School counselors are there, but don't expect much from them. And if it was something serious, they would refer the student to professional therapists, which would cost extra money. I also don't believe in "therapy" by the way. Haven't you heard the saying, if the child doesn't learn love at home, it's going to be hard for them to learn it anywhere else.

So while it can be cold and lonely if you live alone in the west, but if you can't handle that kind of independence, don't go overseas in the first place, you know. Asians are warmer but also it can be a bit suffocating as well, if you're not used to that kind of dependence on each other.

By the way, I'm not just picking on the Mainland Chinese here. I know that the Taiwanese teachers also tend to the personal lives of their students. But it's a different culture, and you can't expect that from western teachers. I don't think western students would like that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-27 22:22:27 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-4-27 12:48
I blame the family unit

You are right ! now they have to watch there kids turn into prison mistress duty
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-4-28 03:44:10 |Display all floors
Motika Post time: 2016-4-27 22:22
You are right ! now they have to watch there kids turn into prison mistress duty

I wonder the girls who went to prision whoes girlfriends they are behind the walls

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-4-28 09:32:58 |Display all floors
They are experiencing the American Dream.
America has more people in prison than any other country including China and India, each of which
have four times as many people.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-28 09:50:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-28 10:25:47 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2016-4-28 02:32
They are experiencing the American Dream.
America has more people in prison than any other country i ...

parents for the male inmate would have to collect money for a gasket replacment soon
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.