Author: leiztorc

Why is US against Brexit?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-4-26 04:29:28 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2016-4-25 22:47
1. UK and US do share the full Anglo-Saxon version of "western culture". Naturally US wishes UK to c ...

The EU will be kissing goodbye to about £10 billion per year in net contributions from us if we leave. It could be the beginning of the end, it's a failed project and the Eurozone is in crisis, it's been there for six years.

Far from be a unifying force, it's caused the rise of far-right political movements in bankrupt southern states and even Germany itself with Merkel's insane open border policy.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-26 04:50:12 |Display all floors
All valid and good questions.   American and Britain were once at war.  American revolutionaries rang from the king in order to worship as they wanted and have greter control over the taxing policies of the people.  Britain and USA people are now great friends and the respect is high.  I support Britain's exit from the EU.  I encourage their pulling away from the EU's "values" and stand alone but not lonely.  I think they would do well to advance their trade, development and growth plans with BRICS.  I am an American.  I know what it must feel like to want to secede and re-establish boundaries, values and ideals that brought a sense of well being and cohesion.  USA govt does not want them to exit because, as you pointed out, they won't be able to use Britain as a mouthpiece for their agenda re: war, spending and trade.  Let's wish Britain well and encourage their independence and return to the financial and economic autonomy they once had.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-26 06:21:45 |Display all floors
Some of the terrible motives you attribute to the US are quite delusional.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-26 07:58:03 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2016-4-26 06:21
Some of the terrible motives you attribute to the US are quite delusional.

Ted, in the seventies the US feared that the European Common Market, was getting ever closer to the Soviet Union. Left of centre governments in France, Germany, Austria, Italy, and Scandinavia, no longer looked at the USSR as a threat, but as a possible trade partner. Europe was slipping outside US control.

The UK at the time was the sick man of Europe, with a failing economy due to underinvestment, but with the prospect of the North Sea oil bonanza, the future did not look bad and could have recovered. Sensible politicians like Enoch Powell and Tony Ben, wanted us to stay outside the Common Market and expand cooperation within the Commonwealth in competition with both the US and Europe. Moreover, the Continental Europeans were not that keen to have Britain join for various reasons, not least being our special relationship with the US. The Europeans were thinking of establishing the United States of Europe with a common currency, a common defence force, and common taxation. Having travelled throughout Europe, I found that those aims were acceptable among the Europeans, but totally at odds with British aspirations. However, in the aftermath of the war in Vietnam, politicians here in the UK were  inclined to downplay the special relationship with the US, and considered joining Continental Europe as a viable alternative away from US adventurism. I was convinced that Ted Heath was sincere in his drive to join the Common market for the reasons just stated. Totally mistaken in my view but still we cannot change history. Funding for the "YES" campaign was mainly paid with US dollars from big corporations and other sources. A hike in the price of oil softened European resolve, as accepting the UK as a member meant lower oil prices for all members of the common market. The Americans feared that the Europeans could use their Purity laws to reject US exports, but with the UK as a member giving US products a Kosher label the Europeans could not reject them. Furthermore, the UK could use its veto on any legislation within Europe not acceptable to the US. All institutions within Europe were infiltrated and subverted by agents of the US. Gone are the plans for a common defence force or common taxation, which rendered the common currency unworkable and farcical as it turns out. The fifth column within the EU ensured that there will be no Dominic de Villepins or Yoshka Fishers arguing against US led wars, everybody toes the line and NATO is king. All that is due to UK membership of the EU, not to mention the financial collapse and the coming war on Russia.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-4-26 08:46:40 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-4-26 12:42:42 |Display all floors
"... a resurgent British Commonwealth that's strongly supported by Canada, Australia, New Zealand..."
As I understand it, Britain's Commonwealth includes Canada, NZ, Australia and others, and needs no resurgence as it is alive and well, and has been for more than a century.
If we accept that as a fact, then we could postulate that Britain wishes to withdraw from the EU to focus on its substantial holdings. Also, there is the small matter of The Commonwealth inviting Europe to join them, which never came to fruition. That could possibly be another reason why Britain is debating withdrawing from the EU.
A possible reason Obama (as mouthpiece of America) speaks against Britain withdrawing from the EU is that, as The Commonwealth gets stronger, there will be 3 potential 'world powers' for America to compete with: China/Asia, Europe, The Commonwealth.  
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-26 17:09:47 |Display all floors
it's simply against Russia ..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.