Views: 1943|Replies: 9

Would lifeterm without parole deter corruption? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-4-19 15:40:54 |Display all floors
Officials who commit severe corruption crimes, involving sums of 3 million yuan, may face a new sentence now — life imprisonment without parole. Although official convicted of severe corruption could have been sentenced to death, an immediate death penalty has seldom been imposed in recent years. Instead, they have been more likely to be given death sentences suspended for two years. Suspended sentences can later be commuted to life imprisonment if no additional offences are committed during the suspension period. Life terms can also be  reduced. In this case, corrupted officials could get away easily. But under the new interpretation, effective on Monday, convicts will not have a chance to leave prison if they are given the sentence. What do you think? Would life imprisonment without parole deter corruption?
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-4-19 19:54:21 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-4-20 09:50:03 |Display all floors
After due consideration, I think that the life without parole scenario is of merit.  However to make it work it needs to be coupled with other measures.  Corruption is very difficult to root out and it requires whistleblowers and a major change of "culture". Encouraging whistleblowers to come forward and report corrupt actions frequently means offering incentives such as immunity from prosecution or even financial rewards as the case may be.

I'd propose a graduated system of penalties depending on the level of corruption.  Something like this.

1st-time petty corruption: Demotion to the bottom rank and a 2 fine equal to 2 years pay.

2nd-time petty corruption: 10 years with no parole. Family assets stripped and all monies forfeited to the state.

Major corruption 100,000 to 3 million RMB.   Life without parole. Family assets (housing, cars, bank) forfeited to the state, unless the wife can demonstrate she paid for goods etc.

Major corruption 3 Million RMB plus or major acts of corruption (as defined by law). Execution after a several year period. All assets in the family forfeited to the state.

Why forfeit all assets? I hear you ask.  Major corruption exists in all countries and one of the age-old methods of hiding the bribes and stolen money is to funnel it in to your wife, children and parents names via either gifts or the purchase of property, jewellery, cars clothes etc.  Every major purchase during the period of corruption needs to be examined by a team of forensic accountants.

Business people and others who attempt to bribe officials should be treated the same way, as I said at the start, only by changing the culture that allows corruption to breed can it be eliminated, or at least minimised.

One final note, I know some will object to the execution of those found guilty of major corruption, however, to be fair, loosing your life is the ultimate penalty and corruption costs everyone in society money.  A corrupt person who suffers from a guilty conscience and offers themselves up, eg walks in to a police station and admits to corrupt activity before an investigation is initiated should never be executed. Assets removed as appropriate and fired but unless the offences caused the death of others (directly or indirectly) then gaol for a shorter sentence and parole should be given.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-4-20 10:48:21 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2016-4-20 09:50
After due consideration, I think that the life without parole scenario is of merit.  However to make ...

That's a very sensible suggestion. In my opinion, executions should be applied to the most heinous crimes. But corruption does not belong to this category. Extreme punishement might suppress corruption temporarily but not solve it. China's corruption stems from a lack of efficient supervision and enforcement mechanism. By the way, the loss of freedom for the remainder of one's life is no mild punishment.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-4-20 11:06:16 |Display all floors
If China wants to remain the best hope of the world corruption must continue to be dealt with in the harshest way.

In the west the fight against corruption was abandon long ago.
Out of this surrender capitalism was born.
Capitalism is corruption with procedures. The lawyers, judges, and justice are all for sale in the west.
The rich own the west and all the trappings of the west, democracy, freedom, and opportunity
are elaborately staged spectacles only the gullible still believe in.
The politicians are only figureheads and the power behind the throne are the oligarchies of the west.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-4-20 13:05:15 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-4-20 17:45:31 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2016-4-20 10:48
That's a very sensible suggestion. In my opinion, executions should be applied to the most heinous ...

I agree however there is a case to be made for certain types of corruption to be fit for capital punishment, especially if the sums of money are large or if there is a loss of life as a result of the corruption, for example knowingly certifying a building as safe when you know it isn't or knowing that a particular repair is not safe yet certifying that it is safe.

I'm all in favour of special prisons for such offenders, long hours of menial degrading work, perhaps chained together (chain gang) out cleaning the gutters in the cities with uniforms chosen to demean and their crime (corrupt official, corrupt businessman etc) emblazoned on the back of their uniform. Work from sunrise to sunset, then back to a barrack-like accommodation unit and simple food. No luxuries like TV or radio, newspapers for the first 10 years.  One visit a year from family and none from friends. Their names plus photos and crimes should be published in the newspaper.  
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.