Author: samlam

Traffic jam   [Copy link] 中文

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-4-13 11:37:53 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2016-4-13 11:00
"How many Chinese buses actually pull right over to the side of the road to let passengers board?" ...

Bus drivers need to be improved in service.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-13 11:40:10 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2016-4-13 11:36
Yielding to buses is safe driving practice, dodging buses is not. The bus driver should check his  ...

The bus driver's attainment should be better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-13 11:43:12 |Display all floors
As well drivers who can safely slow down and yield to a bus, should do so. Instead they just keep on going and then get forced half way into the lane beside them creating even more of a dangerous situation.
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-13 11:59:56 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2016-4-13 11:43
As well drivers who can safely slow down and yield to a bus, should do so. Instead they just keep on ...

I have the same experience as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-13 13:21:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by mbursian at 2016-4-13 13:25

I got my first driver's license in 1968, that was 48 years ago.  Up until the time I moved to China, in 2007, I had experienced driving in a number of metropolitan, urban, suburban and rural settings and in a number of environmental and road conditions in the US, Canada and Germany.  During that period I've driven everything from a small sports car to a loaded flatbed trailer rig.  I feel I am qualified to speak from personal experience, although I've never been behind the wheel in China, that driving here is extremely hazardous and dangerous.  That's a fact.  A lot of Chinese drivers are inexperienced at best and don't possess the simple fundamentals or knowledge of common road courtesy and safety.  The 'right-of-way' acknowledged in most countries doesn't exist here... other than who's first regardless of animate or inanimate objects in the desired path of the vehicle.  That's not an opinion, but a fact based on observation.  I'm not all that knowledgeable on Chinese traffic laws since I don't drive a motorized vehicle here, but I think it's a safe bet that running red lights, driving into oncoming traffic, tailgating, obstructing traffic to pee, or passing on the shoulder or sidewalk isn't entirely legal here... but then again, I could be wrong.  Traffic police sure seem to be indifferent or oblivious about traffic safety... perhaps they are too overwhelmed by incidences to be effective.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-13 14:14:29 |Display all floors
China DOESN'T need more cement/concrete buildings, that "traffic building" idea just won't work.

What the government is proposing is probably the best solution, but will anger the richest 10-15% in China.

It's actually quite simple.  Most large/Tier 1-2 cities have too many private apartment complexes that are fenced/gated, and take up WAY too much space.   The only solution is to drive around, which leads to bottlenecks even if there's a 4-6 lane wide road (8-12 total lanes) because there just aren't enough alternate routes going in the same general directions because of all these private roads.

It's like your body, with the carotid artery in your neck being one of the pressure points, along with the femoral in your leg, etc.   There just aren't enough intersections/public roads available to take, with Beijing averaging about 20-30% of the total in the number of intersections per square km or per square mile...compared to cities like Tokyo, London, Paris or NY that might have 80-110 such intersections.

Of course, there will be complaints...but what provides the "greatest good for the greatest number?"

1) Noise
2) Safety of children/grandparents/schools inside those communities
3) People who don't pay for those apartments don't have the rights to use or even have access to the roads, golf courses, tennis clubs, parks, fountains, lakes, etc.
4) Rich people don't want "dangerous" lower middle class or poor people having access to their private, gated communities.
5) Theoretically higher crime rates.

Of course, there used to be no such thing as private property.  The government (and people) theoretically own the land, collectively....except that's no longer the case.  Or is it?   Obviously, the government, real estate companies, construction companies/contractors have interest in making profit, but at the cost of 10-15% of the annual GDP caused by long commuting time from work to office as well as added greenhouse gases from more and more cars on the road, something needs to be done.  The only question is will the private property rights of the owners (and if they did this, apartments might lose 15-25% of their value overnight) win out in the end?

In some ways, it would be a good way for the government to also bring down housing prices and make them more affordable.

How big of an issue is the time/length of commute to the average Chinese person that takes the bus or subway?  The average Chinese person with a car but who can't afford to live in the 5-25 million RMB "gated communities," the families that are stuck on the "outside, looking in" and feel like they're falling further and further behind...?

Rich people would go nuts.   But how much longer will the middle class, one that's become exceedingly vulnerable with planned job cuts in many industries (cement, coal, construction, solar power, manufacturing, metals)...be patient if they see their "China Dream" slipping away?

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-4-13 14:37:04 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-4-12 09:38
Traffic jams are not caused by technology; they are caused by people. Motorists are like lemmings  ...

Couldn't agree with you more. Traffic jams are caused by irresponsible people.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.