Views: 17518|Replies: 97

Foreigners Caught After Police Chase   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-4-10 15:57:01 |Display all floors
More and more foreigners in China are picking up bad behavior from their Chinese hosts.
Yesterday, a Brazilian student motorcyclist and his pillion rider were stopped by traffic police for riding a bike without a number plate.  Instead of co-operating with the police, they rode off at high speed, with the policeman in hot pursuit, on foot.  They got away, but not for long; they were caught by the police at the next checkpoint.
This kind of behavior is very common among Chnese traffic offenders, with policemen clinging on to their car bonnets or doors for dear life, while the drivers tried to shake them off.  Often the policemen fell off and badly hurt themselves; some even died of injuries.  The irony is that when these offenders were caught, they faced very mild penalties in relation to their offence.  They spent a few days in a police cell, slapped with a fine of a few hundred yuan and chalked up a few demerit points.  That's far too lenient for an offence of this nature, when lives and limps of the law enforcers are at risk.  For whatever reasons, the police like to apply administrative penalties which are often too weak.  Such offenders should be charged in court and let the court apply the full force of the law on them, like thousands of yuan in fines, thrown in jail for many years, and barred from driving for at least ten years!
Foreigners in China, seeing how lenient the police treat traffic offenders, are tempted to do as the Chinese do, ie drive off when stopped by the police, something they would not normally do in their own country!
It is hoped that foreigners don't pick up bad behavior while in China, for unlike the Chinese offenders, they face deportation and are barred from re-entry to China.  Is it all worth it?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-4-10 15:57:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2016-4-10 11:12

Driverless cars are in development today.

They will be able to communicate with each other and there will be no need for traffic lights.
Cars will fly through intersections from different directions missing each other by the slimmest of margins.
If the interent can direct billions of packets across the web successfully every minute they will
have no problems directing a million cars through large cities in the not-to-distant future.

Chinese drivers are ahead of the west in this regard.
Communism is about cooperation and mutual understanding.
Capitalism is about selfishness, distrust, and intimidation.
It's no wonder western drivers are freightened and bewildered by Chinese traffic.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-4-10 16:06:10 |Display all floors
well some here have quoted the phrase " when in Rome " all too often!

Seriously though soon after I got my Chinese driving licence I was told by a Chinese person " you need to learn to drive like a Chinese, driving your way you will not get anywhere." I did not take their advice and have continued to drive sensibly, I still manage to get where I am going in a timely manner while still obeying the laws.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-10 16:08:55 |Display all floors
Chinese police enforcing the law now that's amazing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-10 16:11:19 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-4-10 16:06
well some here have quoted the phrase " when in Rome " all too often!

Seriously though soon after I ...

Your Chinese friends have a point; with so many cars and pedestrians if you give way to them as required by law, you really couldn't get anywhere!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-10 16:12:43 |Display all floors
Pond Post time: 2016-4-10 16:08
Chinese police enforcing the law now that's amazing

Yes, they do, some times!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-4-10 16:17:30 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2016-4-10 16:11
Your Chinese friends have a point; with so many cars and pedestrians if you give way to them as re ...

Just back from driving across Shanghai, I did not break any traffic laws, did not crash and did not injure anyone, my way seems to be working.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.