Author: SherrySongSHSF

Suspected mainland woman takes a dump right on the floor inside Hong Kong's MTR   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-2-17 20:10:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2016-2-17 23:45
Newtown Post time: 2016-2-16 17:37
Mainly true, but I reckon there's more than a few provincial Chinese yokels - tu baotze (?) - who spit on the floor after wracking their throats to some considerable volume, pull up their shirts to expose their chest and back when the weather's hot, chuck their litter and cigarette butts on the ground, and are reasonably slovenly in their toilet habits. Ancient cities, ancient habits.

I have visited rural villages all over China, which have much better air than the big cities. You won't see the same kind of anti-social behavior that you'd see in coastal cities full of migrant workers. Quite the contrary, the rural villagers would treat their foreign guests specially well, no matter how poor they are. They also tend to be the most traditional, keeping alive ancient customs, working together for the social welfare of their rural community, which is the kind of social responsiblity lacking in the coastal cities. What I am trying to say is that there is nothing "Chinese" about those anti-social behavior which is not sanctioned by traditional Chinese culture. It's the exact opposite: traditional Confucian values preaches social responsiblity of the individual to the group -- family, clan, village, elders, ancestors, parents -- the last of which is the most important. You can observe these Confucian values in Overseas Chinese communities outside of China.

I think pnp is talking about the tuhao phenomenon -- hillbilies turned millionaires -- which is quite common in the coastal cities, given their rapid growth in the past few decades. I don't agree with him that anti-social behavior is the same all over China. That's overly simplistic and too much generalization. For example, Shenzhen during its first two decades was just a frontier town full of migrants working in sweatshop factories. It had all the Capitalist vices you can think of: massage parlors, KTV nighclubs, street prostitution, gambling, smuggling, tc. Only later in the 2000s did the local government phase out all those "sweatshop" factories making shoes, garments, textiles, toys, plastics, etc. Those sweatshop factories then moved to Dongguan, along with the vice industries. By the way, Shenzhen didn't even have a subway until the 2005.

By way of comparison, Chengdu is an ancient city just like Xi'an dating back 2,000 years ago. Most of the students and workers here are from Sichuan, so they speak the same dialect and share the same local customs such as spicy food, hot pot, tea houses, etc. I've met entrepreneurs from Shenzhen who have setup shop here and they agree with me that Chengdu is highly congenial to them. Back in Shenzhen, they tell me it's a "dog-eat-dog" world over there.

I am quite impressed with Chengdu so far, with its first subway opening in 2010 and its first HSR line in 2015. I can now take the subway from my housing complex in the Chengdu Hi-Tech Zone (more like a city with thousands of high-tech companies) to the HSR station, and then take the HSR line from Chengdu to Emeishan (which is a UN World Heritage Site) in 45 minutes for 75 rmb.

The Sichuanese are proud of Chengdu: they have a sense of civic consciousness, social responsibilty and hometown pride sorely lacking in Shenzhen. My Sichuanese wife is quite proud of Chengdu, a city which she thinks is better than Shanghai!!!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-2-17 21:11:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.