Author: darkhan

Why are some chinese afraid of African people? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-9-11 09:01:11 |Display all floors

Blacks in China

I disagree with this idea that Chinese are just "curious" about blacks.

I'm a white guy and last night I went out with a black person.  When we were walking in the streets we got plenty of stares.  I always get them and it never bothers me because I can tell that people look at me with curiosity and interest.

For the black person though - no it is not just curiosity.  I can easily see a marked difference in how people react.  It's not like they are just seeing something curious but something totally alien to them, some kind of "thing".  Some people even react openly with disgust.  I'm white and I NEVER get this type of reaction, so it's no wonder that a black person would feel "alienated" literally here in China.

Is it racism?  Some certainly is and some isn't, but I wouldn't brush it aside as just being simple curiosity.

Kirk

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 11:07:04 |Display all floors

one explaination

Comparing with people from Europe and USA,Chinese people seldom meet the persons from Africa, we sometime feel uneasy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 11:07:26 |Display all floors

one explaination

Comparing with people from Europe and USA,Chinese people seldom meet the persons from Africa, we sometime feel uneasy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 12:18:59 |Display all floors

my opinion about africans

I'm a born and bred Chinese.

They look strong and might be violent, so I feel it may be unsafe to accompany him.

I know little about them. I have only seen 2 or 3 of them in a beijing railway station.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 12:20:07 |Display all floors

darkhan

"In the West, people were afraid to even sit beside ANY asians because of the Sars scare. Many people were discriminated against because of this. Was this right? Should we blame and be afraid of ALL people or a race because of a few?"
??????
Since when Sars became a part of racism????

What part of the west you are from?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 15:39:23 |Display all floors

HIV comes from Africa!! omg!! All Africans have HIV!!

Doctor help me, i have HIV because i come from Africa, now everyone is racist to me!!!
Sally, your just a lame stereotypical racist. Does everyone from africa have HIV? Does everyone black come from Africa? Do Chinese people have HIV, and do you do an HIV test of  everyone on a bus before you get on?
pfff...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-12 00:15:04 |Display all floors

About how people are viewed.....

I'm from Toronto, Canada.

Not only on the news did you see and hear about asians being told they could not go on boat cruises, or enter restaurants during the scare, but some were assaulted on the streets of some Canadian and American cities.  All of this isn't new, if you were living in the West, then you should have heard about it.  

This isn't about racism, but about perceptions people have.  Africans and AIDS, Chinese and SARS.    Treating an entire race like lepers because of a few incidents or problems.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.