Author: pnp

An Expat's Proposal For China's Next Five-Year Plan   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-1-9 21:23:03 |Display all floors
When I become President, (AND I WILL) I have a few suggestions about the future of China.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!  Rated R, Parental Guidance Suggested....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-10 09:52:22 |Display all floors
Apparently comments in chinese are not encouraged here. Just a brief recount of my missing posts:  littering/spitting etc are not a big deal despite unsightly and disgusting.  礼仪瑕疵通过教化及社会经验配合可很快改变. The real challenge is about 规矩守约. 不少明文规则有如虚设,哪怕是与自身性命攸关,例如飞机上吸烟,而机舱服务员也似乎不认真跟进.

About heavy fine, 没有监管,高额罚款有可能演变成变相的敛财工具,催生更多贪污腐败。任何的监管都有成本,中国还负担不起高成本的监管机制。两地国情没可比性太多,新家坡可以靠高薪养廉,中国只能参考新加坡经验,不可能照搬。

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-1-10 11:15:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-10 11:29:09 |Display all floors
guocheng2015cd Post time: 2016-1-10 09:52
Apparently comments in chinese are not encouraged here. Just a brief recount of my missing posts:  l ...

This is an English forum, please post in English if you want foreigners to read. You are wasting your time posting in Chinese as most foreigners don't read Chinese, me included!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-10 11:40:21 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2016-1-9 17:23
I was at a school meeting to discuss the school's next 5 year plan. The head-teacher enthusiasticall ...

"I submitted a proper 5 year plan later in the week which was well received by the head. I asked if anyone had contributed..... "No-one""

I am not surprised at all at the Chinese staff's attitude; they have been told from young by their parents not to  mind other peoples' business, 'buyao guan xian shi'!  Unfortunately, they don't distinguish between social problems which they should  mind, and other peoples' personal problems which they should stay away from!  Pity, they don't care for their living environment, preferring not to 'offend' the culprits!
Another plausible explanation is that they grow up in such environment, seeing anti-social behavior everyday, they are immuned to it, you might say, numbed to it, hence they can't be bothered;  they have come to accept it as part of life in China, that cannot be changed!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-10 11:45:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2016-1-10 11:51
TedM Post time: 2016-1-9 17:23
I was at a school meeting to discuss the school's next 5 year plan. The head-teacher enthusiasticall ...

"You might say... quite correctly, that a foreigner or ex-pat has little right to make any suggestions about the future of China. It is a matter for the Chinese people and their government"

Sorry, I don't subscribe to that view; expats are resident in China, and very much a part of China, so we should have the right to comment, and obviously the Chinese Government thinks so too, hence it solicits our comments on the next 5-Year Plan!And btw, China is my second home, and I would like to live in a clean environment, where people have a sense of social responsibility!  I credit the Municipal Government for doing a great job providing social amenities, but it's a pity it does not do enough to see that its people don't mess up what it spent so much time and money providing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-10 12:33:27 |Display all floors
Chinese people are generally hard to educate and even harder to govern because of their disregard for laws and regulations, which are there for social order and for the protection of their rights.  When they trample upon their laws and regulations, society pays the penalty, for instance in the numerous man-made disasters that occured, like the Tianjin warehouse explosion and the Shenzhen mudslide.
CCTV has been running, on a daily basis, community education advertisements for umpteen years, but with little noticeable effect.  What is urgently needed is for Government to implement harsh measures and strictly enforce them.  It should seriously consider 'naming and shaming' as a tool to effect change in social behavior because Chinese people value their 'face' over everything else; they won't want to be caught and shamed for anti-social behavior!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.