Views: 3576|Replies: 3

Property design [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-12-30 01:21:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Laowai2? at 2015-12-30 01:24

Following on from another thread;

As we are currently appartment hunting I've found it intersting to discover how different some aspects of home design are in China.

In the UK and US the kitchen has evolved into a living kitchen, a combination of social/leisure/dining area and kitchen seperate from the main living room. This idea works well when parents want to keep an eye on children playing or doing homework whilst cooking etc. Even in new apartments Chinese kitchens are tiny in comparison, not even large enough for the kind of appliances now available. Dishwashers do not seem popular although sterilizer (?) units of a similar size are. I believe crockery is also stored in these? Mini counter top ovens do seem to becoming popular but I don't see combination microwave/grill/convection ovens which would save space. Could this be due to them requiring a higher current than is available from Chinese power circuits? However, all these devices including rice cookers, kettles, toasters etc all take up space which is very limited. Considering the very damp and humid atmosphere in the south which makes clothes drying very difficult, I see few tumble driers or combination washer driers for laundry.

In one new apartment which was sold "finished" it had gas hot water unit for the shower, but this was not connected to the wash basin in the bathroom or sink in the kitchen. Why would that be?

Are these design differences due to tradition, different social requirements or simply that men are designing them without femaie input?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2016-1-3 18:15:37 |Display all floors
True when I moved to the house in the UK 9 years ago the first thing the interior designers said was to knock the wall down btwn kitchen and dining room

it was surprising how big it made that area

At first I thought god what a load of work/mess rsj's etc but glad we had that done

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-5 00:18:44 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2016-1-3 18:15
True when I moved to the house in the UK 9 years ago the first thing the interior designers said was ...

When you buy a new apt in China all you get is a concrete shell with windows. You then have to have walls and ceilings plastered, floors laid, plumbing, wiring, bathroom, kitchen and doors fitted. After viewing the luxuriously finished and furnished show apt it is a bit of a shock.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-5 16:59:13 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2016-1-5 00:18
When you buy a new apt in China all you get is a concrete shell with windows. You then have to hav ...

We just moved into a new place.... I cant say anything about the actual buying of the buying part of the home.. because it was between the wife and the government..  something she applied for over 6 years ago she said... but the finishing of the place is a hoot...... it drove me crazy the way things were done..  we checked on the progress every few days... I finally had to just go on walks when I would see the progress or lack of... I finally figured out if I told my wife what I thought was being done wrong and why.... how I thought what they were doing or not doing ... get her to see .. then she would go after the contractor like a dog....our walls were painted white.. and the floor was smooth... but they had to add additional plaster to the walls...of course means another coat of this white chalky paint....  and they also raised up the floor almost 4 inches.... it was really a different experience.. but then end results were good..  and were happy.. and so far no problems.... been only a few short months though...   good luck on the process... and yea you are right it will cost a small fortune... that much I do know....          ......   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.