Views: 6795|Replies: 54

Mine boss commits suicide   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-12-27 16:42:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by futsanglung at 2015-12-27 16:43

A number of miners have so far been rescued (pictured), with one body recovered

The owner of a gypsum mine in China's eastern Shandong province has killed himself, as rescuers try to reach 17 miners who have been trapped for two days, state media report.

One person died and four miners escaped when the mine collapsed on Friday.

Since then, rescue workers have managed to pull a number of miners to safety.

China has a long history of industrial accidents. The latest incident comes days after a deadly landslide caused by construction waste in southern China.

Ma Congbo, the chairman of Yurong company which owns the mine, drowned himself by jumping into a mine well early on Sunday, China's Xinhua news agency reports.

His motive is not clear but the Chinese authorities have toughened the punishment of employers who are negligent, says the BBC's Stephen Evans in Beijing.

Mr Ma killed himself two days after the mine collapsed in Pingyi County's Linyi city, Shandong Province, just before 20:00 local time. It is not yet clear what caused the collapse.

Rescuers have drilled a hole to access some of the trapped workers, and are trying to transfer food and water, officials say. More than 700 emergency officials are involved in rescue efforts, according to Linyi Mayor Zhang Shuping.

Hundreds of emergency officials are said to be involved in the rescue operation

Xinhua news agency reports that seven people have been rescued so far.

The facility was used to mine gypsum, a soft mineral that is widely used in construction.

The latest incident comes a week after a landslide in Shenzhen  killed one person and left another 75 people missing, presumed dead.

Authorities say the landslide was caused when a huge man-made mound of earth and construction debris lost stability and collapsed.

It is one in a series of industrial accidents to occur this year, with questions raised about rapid industrialisation and safety standards in China.

This tightening of safety law in recent years is credited with bringing a fall in the number of deaths of miners at work from 7,000 a year in 2002 to 931 last year, our correspondent says.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-12-27 16:42:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2015-12-27 13:44

More gloating over accidents and suicides in China I see...

You can read about these stores in any newspaper but the OP loves to be the first to post these tragedies on this forum
and point fingers. Soon his western propagandist buddies will be here to take pot shots at China too.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-27 19:57:58 |Display all floors
pity to know this disaster and such kind of end.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-12-27 19:59:46 |Display all floors
spiderman006 Post time: 2015-12-27 19:57
pity to know this disaster and such kind of end.

Hopefully the other miners will be freed soon

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-12-27 20:11:45 |Display all floors
China needs to look to the West and copy worlds best practice in safety

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-12-27 20:12:16 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-12-27 19:59
Hopefully the other miners will be freed soon

Let's hope so

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-27 20:21:36 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2015-12-27 20:11
China needs to look to the West and copy worlds best practice in safety

Too often profits before people

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.