Author: SherrySongSHSF

60 years since the great smog of London- in pictures   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-12-3 10:44:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2015-12-2 18:44
SherrySongSHSF Post time: 2015-12-1 16:52
Police using flames at Marble Arch to direct the traffic. The great smog was so thick people that c ...

""Police using flames at Marble Arch to direct the traffic. The great smog was so thick people that could not see their feet. Some of the 4,000 who died in the five days it lasted did not suffer lung problems – they fell into the Thames and drowned because they could not see the river""

Every industrialized nation goes through this. You have afford a factory before you can afford to modernize it.
China is making progress and that is all any of the other industrialized nations could do at first.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 11:10:45 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-12-2 16:43
I was born in London (British Sector)

I remember it well, I was 5 months old and couldn't see where ...

We know that change is painful, do you remember how did the Londoners cope with the pain of making changes?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 11:41:04 |Display all floors
Looking at these pictures great difficulties and challenges reminds me of the Battle of Britain during WW2. I remember when confronted with great threat and danger, Churchill did not ran away but instead rallied the people to fight on in those famous messages (who wrote them?). However, the same can't be said of Hitler because he went hiding in his bunker the moment the tide changed against him. I am not trying to bash the Fascists or Germans or Japanese, I am just trying to understand what is the right mindset to adopt when we are faced with difficulties.

We know that Hitler is a person driven by fear or the fear of losing and that is why he got consumed by fear and hid in the bunker when he was losing the war. If that is true then Churchill must be someone driven by true courage because he faced the challenges head on even when Britain was losing the battle.

So the point is I assume the reason the Londoners were able to solve their smog problem is because perhaps they have the courage to make the changes or they are less fearful of losing/discarding what they were accustomed to (coal).

In the principal of Kungfu, disciples are to cultivate courage because courage gave rise to the generation of 元气 (light and energy) while love and other positive values banish fear or the fear of losing i.e. when you have love you are more willing to share, and if you are willing to share or be considerate, you are not fearful of losing something you like. The dark side of the force are hate and fear while the bright side of the force are love and courage. That is why Master Yoda was having doubts about Anakin.

I am not writing this to encourage people to go to war, I am saying we must be careful not to confuse courage with fear.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 12:21:48 |Display all floors
Censored again

The stupid mods have censored me again.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 12:27:50 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-12-2 16:43
I was born in London (British Sector)

I remember it well, I was 5 months old and couldn't see where ...

If you were walking when you were 5 months old then you were either an athletic prodigy or dragging yourself along on your mother's petticoats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 12:31:52 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2015-12-3 10:32
You mean like the mass murders? Another one today in the USA. At least 14 dead.
Or were you talkin ...

The number of deaths through mass murders in USA would be a drop in the bucket compared to the number of Chinese people who die due to toxic pollution. When people are warned not to venture outside and those who do wear masks it's obvious why many Chinese are prepared to take the risk and jump ship to leave the malaise of the motherland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-3 12:43:27 |Display all floors
Excerpt:

Opening Pandora’s box: A new look at the industrial revolution, by Tony Wrigley, Vox EU:

Pandora’s box?
In Greek mythology, Pandora was created by Zeus to enable him to punish Prometheus for having stolen fire from the sun to animate his man of clay. Zeus intended that Pandora should marry Prometheus and had given her a jar with the instruction that she should present the jar to the man she married. She was ignorant of its contents. Prometheus was suspicious and repulsed her. She instead married his brother Epimetheus, who ignored a warning about acting imprudently and opened the jar. In so doing he released into the world a host of previously unknown and malign forces.
The story has parallels with the occurrence of the industrial revolution. Contemporaries were not aware of the radical and irreversible nature of the changes which were in train. The analogy is not, of course, exact. On balance, the forces released by the industrial revolution may be thought beneficial rather than malign but the balance is a fine one.
Every increase in the powers of production has been offset by a matching increase in the powers of destruction, exemplified perhaps most vividly by the atomic bomb.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.