Views: 8091|Replies: 29

China's Napoleon Complex   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-18 10:41:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by StellaSong at 2015-11-18 10:46

sebag-montefiore_chinaheightism_rtr4t6z2.jpg

In China, the tall people go ahead.

Clarissa Sebag-Montefiore is stating that" “Being tall is seen as [being] better educated, being a good marriage partner, and so on,” ( China's Napoleon Complex, Foreign Affairs, November 16)

Some excerpts as follows,

"With Deng’s political reforms in the 1980s and 1990s came increased discrimination based on appearance. Diplomats now must be tall enough to match their foreign counterparts, to avoid losing face; some interview processes for flight attendants are literally beauty contests that involve a stroll down a catwalk in a swimsuit; and female civil servants in Hunan Province were once required to have “symmetrical breasts” (a criterion that was dropped in 2004). Companies often want employees not only to be tall but also to have a fair complexion and good deportment. It is standard to include a head shot and vital statistics, namely height, in a résumé."

Xingzhong Yu, a professor of Chinese law at Cornell Law School, pins it to the nature of Chinese culture, which he says is traditionally “very hierarchical and discriminating,” values compounded today by modern capitalism. “With the economic reform deepening, and more and more people better educated, it has become very competitive to get a job in China,” he said. “Some institutions become very picky and arbitrary in recruiting potential employees.”

Taller people across the board are perceived as “more confident, more assertive, and able to communicate better,” Russell Smyth, professor of economics at Monash University, Melbourne, told me. “In a developing country like China there is also a physical aspect—taller people are stronger. If you think about blue-collar work, taller people would be rewarded more.”

In the end of the passage, Clarissa Sebag-Montefiore also predicts that the tendency of height discrimination in China will likely continue. Beyond the legal questions are even trickier ones about social class.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-18 10:52:45 |Display all floors
I'm 195 cm tall which I think is an ideal height for a man. Any men shorter than 180 cm are usually trying to compensate their shortness by either loud mouth or flamboyant clothes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-18 10:54:56 |Display all floors
Btw. If you study history you will know that Napoleon was not exceptionally short for his time, he was always surrounded buy special soldiers who were taller than an average Frenchmen.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-11-19 08:32:39 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2015-11-18 10:52
I'm 195 cm tall which I think is an ideal height for a man. Any men shorter than 180 cm are usually  ...

What utter rubbish, there are many men smaller than 1.8m in the world that are doing very well without being loudmouthed or overdressed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-19 09:03:41 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2015-11-18 10:54
Btw. If you study history you will know that Napoleon was not exceptionally short for his time, he w ...

So what really matters  is a man's wisdom and intelligence.Never judge a man by his height.
Btw, 195cm is really too tall, at least in China. i haven't see a man so tall in my life yet. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-19 11:11:40 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-11-19 02:32
What utter rubbish, there are many men smaller than 1.8m in the world that are doing very well wit ...

I rest my case.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-11-19 11:20:26 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2015-11-19 11:11
I rest my case.

You have no idea how tall I am, here are a list of people that prove you wrong

Churchill, 1.7m
Ghandi, 1.63m
Picasso 1.64m
Ghengis Khan 1.55m
Lionell Messi 1.7m
George Lucas 1.7m

The list could go on but that is enough to show you speak nonsense

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.