Author: mixamixa

Hong Kong vs. China football match   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-20 07:56:23 |Display all floors
In fairness, social unrest and civil disobedience did happen during Britain's ruling of Hong Kong, particularly the concerted campaign launched by the  pro-China labour unions against the local British ruling elites in 1967; they were calling on the local government to treat the people of Hong Kong nicely and fairly, creating more jobs  and ameliorating their  living conditions. Luckily, their efforts paid off at last after the local British  ruling elites made concessions , responded to their appeal for structural reforms and cracked down on pervasive corruption or fraud afterwards. Notice: some obdurate residents who reportedly moved from mainland to Hong Kong and ornery  members of the local pro-China labour unions had been arrested during this period.

In other words,  Britain might have taken offence at social unrest or even sent the police to roughen up the dissidents who were supportive of the Chinese government if it had been in China's shoes, er, just like what it did in 1967. But Britain wouldn't have resiled from the promise it had given the people of the Hong Kong-that is, to let them to decide the future of Hong Kong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 07:58:07 |Display all floors
In fairness, social unrest and civil disobedience did happen during Britain's ruling of Hong Kong, particularly the concerted campaign launched by the  pro-China labour unions against the local British ruling elites in 1967; they were calling on the local government to treat the people of Hong Kong nicely and fairly, creating more jobs  and ameliorating their  living conditions. Luckily, their efforts paid off at last after the local British  ruling elites made concessions , responded to their appeal for structural reforms and cracked down on pervasive corruption or fraud afterwards. Notice: some obdurate residents who reportedly moved from mainland to Hong Kong and ornery  members of the local pro-China labour unions had been arrested during this period.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 07:58:18 |Display all floors
In other words,  Britain might have taken offence at social unrest or even sent the police to roughen up the dissidents who were supportive of the Chinese government if it had been in China's shoes, er, just like what it did in 1967. But Britain wouldn't have resiled from the promise it had given the people of the Hong Kong-that is, to let them to decide the future of Hong Kong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 07:59:40 |Display all floors
By the by, Hong Kong is still part of China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 08:09:25 |Display all floors
Alfred_Xie Post time: 2015-11-18 21:48
I can't hide my disapointment but we should never give up our hope for that dream. For our kids , pl ...

They should be hiring me to be the coach of their national team. I would point my gun at such lazy Chinese soccer players and shoot them if they don't move quicky on the field.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 08:14:23 |Display all floors
Alfred_Xie Post time: 2015-11-18 21:48
I can't hide my disapointment but we should never give up our hope for that dream. For our kids , pl ...

Another good alternative would be to tell them they simply get beautiful Chinese  girls to be their mistresses once they win each game. You know most Chinese footballers are lotharios.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 08:30:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tedbrent at 2015-11-20 08:41
checkthisdude Post time: 2015-11-20 08:21
The same thick bunch of colonial slaves that fell prey to censorship, totalitarian ruling and in ...

Nah. The British then never viewed Hongkong as part of the U.K.  That explains why Britain didn't send management mavens or notables to Hong Kong to help the local ruling elites  map out economic plans; then it was more or less a self-governed place even it had a  governor from Britain.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.