- Registration time
- Last login
- Online time
- 4 Hour
- Reading permission
Let's Separate Facts from Fiction :)
Let me stress that I'm here for calm and objective debate. If in the process I've stepped on any toes, it is unintentional.|
First, non-Chinese may not know that the Cultural Revolution was started to purge opposition to Mao's leadership. It was later exploited by the Gang of Four with patronage from Jiang Qing. A lot of hardship and public damage were caused to ordinary folks including my own aunt and cousins in Guangdong. But these insane underlings called the "Red Guards" lost their bearings and ended up bullying anyone who is not "with them". To me, they were as cruel and atrocious as the Japanese Army which trampled across Asia during World World Two. They were against their so-called "foreign imperialist, reactionist, revisionist and what have you".
My question to Blue Tiger is this - "How did you manage to be in China then and yet live to tell the TALE ^_^? You would be No. 1 enemy to the Red Guards because they can't differentiate between an American and an Italian :). And the Red Guard's atrocities is not news, definitely not to readers here. We all know about Deng Xiaoping , Liu Shaoqi, Marshal He Long families' sufferings at their hands. So there is no need to educate (or re-educate) us here. I have seen the damage done to the Ancestral Temple built during the Song Dynasty at Foshan, Guangdong before it was later repaired. My mum still have fond memories of that temple.
The Red Guards cannot even account for 2% of China's population of 1.2 billion. By associating the political manoeuvre of the Gang of Four with the decency of the remaining 98% of Chinese is to expect us to be nincompoops.
Well, I too like to laugh occasionally, it's good for health. In this instance, I'd like to think mine is the last laugh. Please don't be condescending by presuming others are less worldly-wise and less travelled, notwithstanding that I'm younger. I too have travelled extensively when I was a senior executive with an airline. You're right to say wisdom is something that cannot be learnt from university studies, and it is certainly not confined to older people as well. And may I add, the institution of "higher education" has been around for ages, not only in China but also the world at large. Therefore, I don't want to to run down the wisdom of our forefathers.
Let me dwell on another presumption - that of my supposedly narrow range of news and reading material. Older men these days often forget we're in a global world. Not only can we access news from CNN, BBC, CNBC, CCTV, Voice of America etc from cable TV and the Internet, the New York Times, International Herald Tribune, AFP, Reuters, Times and Newsweek Magazines etc are available around the world. Most large offices and bookstores in Asia have these media. One last word, my post-graduate studies were from an American university ^_^.
As for airing my views and debating with American politicians via email, I'll be the first to admit I don't believe these politicians (and not their personal assistants instead) would read emails from total strangers everyday. We can do with less of that balderdash - I'm not that gullible.
Since you challenged me, let me tell you something you don't know and which you presumed to know. If Bin Laden was on CIA's payroll, how is it they don't know of his whereabouts when 9/11 occurred? They would at least know of his network of friends and contacts. Worst, having enlisted him, the CIA must be pretty inept not to discover his fundamentalist Islamic leanings, let alone the vast Al Qaeda organisation he was building :) Having said that, I remember there's a handsome reward for information leading to the arrest of Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein and their lieutenants in the order of millions of American Dollars. Please remember to share a little of that reward with me since you seem to know so much of Bin Laden and I'm the one to remind you ^_^.
Sorry blue tiger, I'll gladly accept whatever you say as facts if only they were backed by evidence available in the public domain. I'm not one who is easily intimidated by claims of someone being present in certain places and at certain times. I merely use my common sense, and not much wisdom is required in the process :)