Author: waveheatin

What makes Chinese Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-26 16:37:16 |Display all floors

Uncivilised Tourists from China

People from China are the worst tourists in the World!! They have no understanding on the culture of other countries and they have no intention to respect the lifestyle of people in other countries. They are the most selfish tourists and do not considerate the feeling of the citizens of the countries. They do whatever they want to, talking loudly in quiet places, crowded in the passageways with no intention that they are blocking the ways, squatting anywhere, anytime they like on the streets, spitting whenever they want to, disregard all signage and regulation on public transportation, push their ways through without considering other users on the road.  China must teach their citizens the basic protocol when travelling aboard. Stop letting those uncivilised citizens to destroy the peace and harmony of other countries . They even destroy the tour spots of other countries, seriously affect the right of other tourist to enjoy the scenery. No one welcome people from China as long as they are so uncivilised. “All People from China are all like this, shame” is the common comments from the world. We do not welcome people from China. Teach your citizens or we will never welcome them to visit our place!!!

Use magic tools Report

vagabond has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-26 16:44:15 |Display all floors

To angelheart : What's the difference between your guff and your notion of "unci

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

spiritapple has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-26 16:48:55 |Display all floors

To angelheart

Use magic tools Report

maveri has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-26 17:12:53 |Display all floors

I'm a Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-26 18:51:55 |Display all floors

Let the frog stay at the bottom of the well ^_^

Hi, Vagabond, Spiritapple and Maveri,
I'm surprised you took the trouble to reply to some worthless cacophony. I attribute his/her comments to cultural differences and, I hope, not ignorance. The moment I read his/her opinion, I knew instantly that he or she has not even seen the world.
Let me cite an example. This will illustrate how cultural differences can cause mistaken understanding or quiet respect, depending on the sophistication of a person.
Years ago, I visited Tongji University in Shanghai as part of an overseas delegation visiting China. A group of Australian professors from the Queensland University of Technology were there to teach the staff and students on the construction and real estate industry  in a market economy. I was told they were on either 1 or 2 years teaching assignments. In order to reciprocate our earlier dinner invitation, the Tongji U faculty threw a dinner for us and the Australian academics were invited. As it was a Chinese dinner, I was instantly struck by the sight of the Australian friends lifting up their bowls of rice and eating with their chopsticks.
Now for those of us familiar with Western etiquette, it is considered impolite to hold one's bowl or plate in the hands and eating from it (quite the opposite with Oriental culture). Throughout the dinner, their table manners, from the Chinese point of view, were impeccable. At once, I realise that sitting across me were no ordinary Australians. These are highly educated and refined people who have seen the world. Without any hint of crass behaviour, these Westerners have earned my deep respect by their silent demostration of sophistication.
Another episode, albeit an amusing one, will serve to illustrate cultural differences. I was watching a TV programme on Japanese cuisine when a Japanese reporter was shown visiting an upmarket restaurant in Tokyo. The specialty of that restaurant was a certain noodle dish. To my horror, the reporter lifted the long stretch of noodles with his chopsticks, and sucked the entire stretch of noodles in one gulp, together the offensive sound that goes with it! My friend who is familiar with Japanese culture enlightened me that that was the proper manner of a guest. The apparent greed and relish serve to demonstrate to the host how delicious his food was and how much the reporter really enjoyed them. If my friend is right, I'm really humbled by my ignorance.
Of course, there is no denial that tourists rushing to buy things, spitting in the public, and talking loudly wherever they are cannot be accepted. Let's not forget that any one culture is not static and is constantly evolving. In some societies, it develops for the better over time, in others the deterioration is gradual. Personally, I've been refused by a subway ticket attendant in London when I needed some loose change (coins). And a couple of young ladies after me got their small change. The only difference is that they were Britons whereas I was a foreigner. But do I need to feel annoyed with a petty ticket attendant who may not even have stepped out of Britain? And we have read in the newspapers of rowdy foreigners from the so-called developed world creating a scene either on board a plane or in a restaurant just so that they can enjoy themselves.
So, in this global society, there is no need to be uptight over such trifles. There are always such weirdos around, and plenty in the Internet world :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-27 01:27:31 |Display all floors

What is Chinese, what is White, and what does it matter?

I am American and have both had and have seen Chinese guests in America, and have found them to always be very polite and considerate.

I can see that many visitors from China feel very self-conscious and nervous in such an environment that is so new and different for them. But Americans are generally very friendly and casual.

I am white, and I grew up with very close family friends who were Chinese. The father in the Chinese family was just like a close, caring uncle to me. His teachings and influence made me the person I am, today--a much better and stronger person than if I had not had such an influence.

I have so very many thoughts about what makes a Chinese person Chinese. One reason was mentioned by another person, earlier: it was the isolation from the outside world; than, in the 19th century, the Chinese were exposed to the worse of Europe, colonizing China and exploiting the people and their resources, causing a feeling of inferiority.

Now, Chinese are asking what they are. That is actually rather illogical. I could ask, "What makes a white person white?" How can I possibly answer that other than that white people have white skin?

With my upbringing and my deep influence from a Chinese family and from other Chinese people in my life, I feel more Chinese than white man of European descent!

I am white, but I am not British, Irish, French, etc., nor do I identify with them at all. But I guess I must be that nebulous race, "Caucasian," although I have never been there. Is it a "there?"

On the same hand, how can a Chinese person be less Chinese if they were born in Spain an raised in Nigeria and speaks Italian? To any white, black, or green person, a Chinese person is a Chinese person, and he or she should be judged only by their deeds, not by race or color.

And, as an American, I have been exposed to many cultures and have adopted many of the good aspects of them. Besides English, I speak fluent Spanish and Cantonese. I love Brazilian music and foods from many countries.

I have traveled all over the world, avoiding the tourist traps and getting to know the "real" people.

I love the western half of American and hate the eastern half, because the western half is much less populated, much more beautiful, and is more natural. I love the beautiful wilderness. But, I define myself, personally--not as much an American as I do a citizen of the world.

The world has grown very small, and we can become friends and understand one another in deeper, more personal ways. And we can learn not only tolerance, but to really enjoy our differences and our similarities.

I live in Washington state, and we have a Chinese governor who has served two four year terms in office. Yes, a person who is Chinese was voted into a state's highest polticial office! He is Chinese, and I am white, but we are also Americans who have more in common. He and I were raised in a traditional Chinese manner, hahaha!!!

http://www.governor.wa.gov/bios/bio.htm

To some people in China, he is considered non-Chinese and a traitor to his race, which is the exact same kind of immoral, racist thinking that characterizes the old Ku Klux Klan! That kind of thinking is so terrible and completely backwards!

The best, in this modern world, is to be caring human beings. Modern science constantly points out that race is more of a myth than a reality. A person with a dark skin has merely adapted for survival in one kind of climate; whereas, the other has adapted to survive in another kind of climate. We all bleed the same color.

All people have developed language to communicate with those around them. I have communicated with African, South American, and Tokelau tribesmen with just gestures, yet we found a friendly bond.

It is sad that people don't look within themselves to see where their fears and insecurities really come from--then, people might eventually know what it is to be really civilized, rather than merely boring and stuffy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-27 11:08:18 |Display all floors

What makes Chinese Chinese?

The kindness of the Chinese people is what makes them different from any other people.  They will not embarass or humilliate you if you make a mistake, but will help you and keep you from feeling bad.  The Chinese people I know are honorable people and made me feel safe when I was in China alone and afraid.  

The Chinese have  wisdom of thousands of years of culture--wisdom of how to treat others and live in peace with little or with much.

The Chinese people never forget their heroes.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.