Author: StellaSong

What good can come of Blair's apology for Iraq?   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-11-1 20:31:54 |Display all floors
The same good as an apology from japan for what they did during WWII

Sweet FA

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-2 05:30:46 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-10-31 02:57
he was once among the greatest friends of the USA. it supplied him with weapons to fight a long war ...

I do not understand why a person born in India would move to raise a family in Australia (a prosperous western country); benefit from the higher living-standards there; but turn around and condemn the West while still enjoying its benefits to him and his family. How can we build a peaceful and prosperous united world if we fan nationalist and racist prejudices that way?
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-11-2 05:39:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-11-2 07:43
Ted180 Post time: 2015-11-2 07:30
I do not understand why a person born in India would move to raise a family in Australia (a prospe ...

Ted,
Maybe because you are trying to understand me but misunderstand.
I do not understand how pointing out things as one see its, no matter where we live, is 'turning around and condemning. One's personal situation should not determine whether one speaks out the truth as one sees it or not. I could live anywhere in the world or be from anywhere, observe the same things in this world and post the same things here. I have seen blind nationalism, condemning of China or India or Russia or any other country or people for long on CD. When I try to introduce some balance in perspective, why do you try to make it out like it is a personal issue, or about me. It should not be. Just comment on my views and stop trying to understand me as an individual, Ted. Perhaps that will help you understand my posts better.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-2 05:53:27 |Display all floors
I do not understand why a person born in India would move to raise a family in Australia (a prospe ...

Ted,
Are you suggesting that people that live in a society (benefit from it) should muzzle themselves and stop pointing out flaws in them? Is that your idea of freedom of expression? Does society progress and become better by such censorship?
I am surprised you would think so! To me it smacks of dictatorships and authoritarianism, intolerance etc.
Supposed principles of freedom of thought and expression are meaningful only in practice.
I suppose you do not realise that people can contribute to improving their societies by pointing out what they see as flaws. Everyone does that, even those that are pro-Western, constantly point out what THEY think are its failings - accepting refugees, or accepting people of a certain religion, or NOT bombing another country.... When one set of people feel free to express such views on CD, I  or others might express an opposing view. Does that makes us less loyal to our societies? No!
If you see me posting more times opposing Western policies it is because it is in response to what others post here. It has been one-sided for a long time and I did not hear you complain personally against Western bigots and racists posting here before. With the Internet the trend iis changing slowly.
Well, try to not make it about me as an individual. Respond to my views or arguments - agreeing or disagreeing is fine with me.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-2 05:57:28 |Display all floors

Ted you wrote this in response to my post about Saddam Hussein to a poster who wrote he never heard of the guy!
So, what part of my post about Saddam Hussein do you disagree with? What does that have to do with me as a person or my individual circumstance? Have I ever brought your personal situation into a discussion or response to you?
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-2 06:31:34 |Display all floors

It is perhaps because sufficient people that personally 'benefit' from the Western society (both that live in it and live outside it), do not speak up for what is right, that atrocities such as that in Iraq happened, the perpetrators get away and their nations lose respect or credibility around the world. It is perhaps such self-censorship for selfish gain that has brought the world to such a pass as we see. We are all helpless to do much except express our views and vote (which is quite meaningless when it comes to foreign policy).
There are people like Noam Chomsky or Gore Vidal or Ron Paul and many others in the USA itself, who speak up and say the things I do too. People from around the world, with different personal backgrounds can think and come to similar viewpoints, Ted. It should not surprise you.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-2 07:48:14 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-11-1 17:31
It is perhaps because sufficient people that personally 'benefit' from the Western society (both t ...

But Chomsky, Vidal and others seem to ignore all the benefits from the US-led system. The higher living-standards, the personal freedom (which is not unlimited). Overly-fond of their trendy status as critics, they depart the reality of existence. They end-up indirectly supporting people like Saddam. They enable a resistance to liberal and social democratic modernity and justice. One can criticize the mistakes of western leaders without denying the basic aims of modern society. Methods can be questioned. Indeed, that is fundamental to modern rational and scientific thinking.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.