Views: 1597|Replies: 5

Could meal check help disadvantaged students in university? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-10-15 13:18:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by StellaSong at 2015-10-15 13:18

9278256.jpg

Huazhong agricultural University has recorded the details of its students' spending on lunch and dinner during the past 15 days. The 10 percent who spent the most on their meals have been disqualified from receiving the subsidies granted to disadvantaged students. This regulation has triggered heated discussion on the Internet. Some media outlets commented that
"Instead of examining and verifying which students are entitled to the subsidies, the university has resorted to a snap judgment based on the students' spending on meals. This will, to some extent, push students to either not eat enough or seek ways to manipulate the records. Hence such a decision is both divorced from reality and runs counter to the original purpose of better using the poverty relief money to improve the lives of the poorest students. It is a typical example of lazy administration." Some netizens also said that the university's well-intentioned decision still needs improvement in practice.
What do you think of this practice? Could meal check help disadvantaged students? Any other better suggestions for poor students?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-17 17:03:55 |Display all floors
Depending on the price inside an outside the school the poorest student's could have been the ones spending the most.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-17 18:13:05 |Display all floors
I had been an univerisity student many years ago,and most of my classmates had ever been given some financial subsidies for their humble family background.I still remember the applying process very clearly that these students just needed to fill a form to the tutor,then the scholarship money could be subsidzied later.Maybe the administrators of the universities at that time believe their students completely.Time passed so  quickly,most of my classmates who had ever got the government help have become very useful people in the society,maybe some of the guys weren't so honest then but they also rewarded the society nowadays,so I do think it is unnecessary for the Huangzhong agriculture university to supervise their students so strictly and should give them some freedom in their daily lives.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-17 19:48:17 |Display all floors
Filtering should before entering to universities and not after that. if want to check for statistics comparing report, should check the luxury items and not the foods that students taken.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-17 21:16:00 |Display all floors
I have same feeling too.  
receiving subsidy but fail to 'clean the dish' and they called themselves disadvantaged student..  how ironic and school don't even check that ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-8 17:49:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.