Views: 4889|Replies: 14

ATTENTION: THE TERM "FOREIGN FRIENDS" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-8-25 22:38:47 |Display all floors
THE TERM "FOREIGN FRIENDS" IS VERY INCORRECT.
NOT ALL FOREIGNERS ARE FRIENDS, YOU CANNOT CONSIDER EVERYONE A FRIEND. NOT EVERYONE WILL WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE TERM "FOREIGN FRIENDS" EVER AGAIN. IT IS NOT ONLY NOT FRIENDLY, MANY PEOPLE WILL FIND IT VERY OFFENSIVE. THANK YOU.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-25 22:51:20 |Display all floors

Well

Maybe it is so-called cutural conflict. The Chinese call stranger as "uncle" "aunt" , while the American even call directly the name of their parents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-26 04:50:39 |Display all floors

wei_sun316: May I make a suggestion---

lower case posting is more friendly

FYI-Read on to learn some "etiquette" or " netiquette" if u don't already know so.

"Send an e-mail in all UPPER-CASE.
Use of upper-case words is the equivalent of shouting in some one's ear. ONLY use upper-case words when trying to make a point (such as I just did). Even at that, you should be careful with who you are exchanging messages. "

- from http://www.iwillfollow.com/email.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-26 08:20:40 |Display all floors

FOREIGN FRIENDS

The words foreign and friends are not inseparable. By using the adjective "foreign"  you are narrowing your description of  the word  "friends" to those in a foreign place as opposed to the your "locals".

If you feel the foreigner is not a friend just say "foreigner'' or if you want to demonstrate your dislike for him maybe you can say "foreign enemy"

So you cannot  conclude that the term 'foreign friend' is wrong.

Best wishes from a foreign friend.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-26 18:37:17 |Display all floors

Yes, cultural reasons.

This term was spread by the CCP when they were trying to get more foreign investors and foreign travelers into this country. BUT, no matter who started it, it has to end. Not everyone is a friend. You cannot determine a friendship by nationality.
Even if you look at it as a word, you can still point out that you cannot say the word "foreign friends" to everyone.
the definition of "friends":
# A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
# A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

So can you call any foreigner walking on the street a friend? Do you know every foreigner in China? Do you like everyone? Do you... you get my point.

Thank you for the tip on ettiquette, i'll take note.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-26 19:53:53 |Display all floors

Oh...

I do learn a lot . Thank you so much .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-27 11:33:41 |Display all floors

Wei, call them "Devils" or "Barbarians" instead!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.