Author: desperado123

The 50 Weirdest Foods From Around the World [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-8-18 11:02:23 |Display all floors
Raw things

28. Steak tartare - France

Is this weird? I mean, French waiters will still ask foreigners over and over again if they know what they are getting themselves into, but surely this is pretty well known now. It’s made up of good quality raw ground beef, served with onions, capers, raw egg and seasoned with Worcester sauce and other condiments, usually with rye bread or fries on the side. Considering I like my steak served blue this was always the next logical step - and man, is it good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:07:01 |Display all floors
29. Cherry blossom meat - Japan

Interesting one to bring up after that whole European horsemeat scandal. While I have the same aversion most people do to horsemeat, I also kind of recognise the insincerity. I mean, once horses were our companions and transport. Now they are the playthings of rich people. Perhaps something of a nostalgic attachment? Anyway, cherry blossom meat is raw horse, served either on its own or as part of sushi. It’s said to be low in calories and low in fat, but it’s not something I can see myself trying, despite savouring the raw flesh of cows.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:10:23 |Display all floors
Out-there animals

30. Frogs legs - France, Southeast Asia and other

What’s there to say? Basically the back end and back legs of a frog, grilled, baked, fried or stewed. With the texture of chicken with a very faint taste of fish, it’s one of my favourite kind of meats. Try it with chilli as part of Cantonese cuisine or roasted and served with a garlic and cream sauce – beautiful!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:14:10 |Display all floors
31. Kangeroo - Australia

Historically the staple meat for indigenous Australians, kangaroo is high in protein and low in fat, making it a pretty healthy choice. It’s gamey in flavour and served in multiple ways, from a simple steak to sausages or burgers. Although some animal groups are against the hunting and harvesting of kangaroos for meat, many ecologists see farming native animals as much better for the fragile Australian rangelands than cattle and say it could massively reduce greenhouse emissions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:16:22 |Display all floors
32. Crocodile - Australia, Southeast Asia and Africa

Not only harvested for shoes (one for all you Jimmy Nail fans out there), crocodile meat is considered a delicacy in many places around the world, supposedly tasting like a cross between chicken and crab. Although crocodiles are protected in many parts of the world, crocodile meat is usually farmed, so is sustainable if not particularly kind or natural.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:18:12 |Display all floors
33. Southern fried Rattlesnake - United States

A favourite in the Southwestern United States, it’s said to taste a little like frogs legs. Experts advise boiling the meat off the bones before dipping in egg and covering in seasoned salt mix, flour and breadcrumbs. Deep fat fry and munch away.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-18 11:20:12 |Display all floors
34. Guinea pig - South America

A strange one, because again I see this as kind of wrong. Yet I know over here we use guinea pigs in all sorts of medical tests and experiments, which is far worse. Typically served whole and roasted or in a casserole, guinea pig is said to have a similar flavour to rabbit.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.