Author: StellaSong

What west can learn from Chinese-style education?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-8-4 21:44:01 |Display all floors
What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

The ancient Asian protocol for education has proven effective for some and or many.

My simple question is if? IF? This protocol and regimen for education of few or masses--why isn't Asian ruling the world in every aspect ?
Of course there are linear and quad cross sectioned over any analysis but the question has remained for more than 200 hundred years when Western Education practices were pitched against Eastern practices.

Once again --it is the wrong question..but in this case it is the right answer...there is no equality in education. just as there are no two snowflakes alike.
Though one must continue to ponder why---why--is this even a question? After all  education is for the weak and strong--male or female--regardless of race or religion.

The recent BBC article involving Chinese teachers schooling year 9 students found exactly what was predicted...the percentage of learners who excelled were identical in each system.
Simple fact is it is the basic human DNA in each of our mind--being hard wired to learn--reject or instill education and learning......where ever that one child is on the planet.

The simple molecular structure of each mind at birth is the dictator for the one persons future.......no matter what education is instilled on him/her.

Bottom line--------we keep educating our children and students in all facets of life at the same time...they will and have become more successful and group players which has changed out world yesterday and tomorrow.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-5 00:11:32 |Display all floors
Nothing to see here, move along. Government policy on education is a failure. I'd take a bright UK student over a bright Chinese one everyday. Why? Character
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-5 00:12:35 |Display all floors
abramicus Post time: 2015-8-4 08:41
Chinese teachers should stop doing this to British kids.  It would make geniuses out of them.

This is why Chinese students study here and not vice versa :)
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-5 02:51:12 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-5 08:14:51 |Display all floors
More exchanges should be done between the Chinese and the Anglos.

Anglo-Chinese education has brought about huge successes in Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and Canada alike. Both the Chinese and the English understood the purposes of a system. It has always been a degree of such application that differentiates them not the culture. English to a certain extent has been distracted by America's success.

Rote learning is not bad, though some modification to suit technological changes today is helpful (hand-phones, laptops and tablets are creating a more impatient society - hence educators have to be more patient and creative to teach patience) and Chinese media should encourage it. It cultivates the ability to focus to acquire understanding at any one moment at will rather than the unstructured method which depends on unpredictable right emotion to discover similar understanding. However rote learning may not encourage experimental appetite in students. It also does not encourage risk taking. Hence the Chinese system should inculcate "Adventurism" to go with the strong intellect learning. Introducing China's cultural games like Buzkashi (of course an improvised version to suit today's civilization), Wei-Qi and archery helps to develop students. In Buzkashi students can discuss many factors from teamwork, to strategy, to biology, to geography to weather etc. Having frequent camping expeditions where students get to build Mongolian Yurts and explore wildlife builds human communication with the environment. All these fosters stronger personalities. There will be no worries that such students will be less scientifically inclined because these activities will create students who are adventurous, inquisitive and am able to calculate and take necessary risks to succeed. It will bolster their appetite to explore even into space and one cannot do that without scientific technology, a path which they know very well they will have to cross. Blending intellect with adventurism will develop better equipped people. Of course school curriculum should also develop humanity - that's by getting students doing their part for humanity from young.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-5 09:22:06 |Display all floors
This report is different from the Chinese version I saw in wechat, where the teachers ripped into the British for being lazy and apparently Britain is doomed to failure because of the state of our students.

I plan on doing a blog on the wechat report in a few days....
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-8-5 09:44:35 |Display all floors
leiztorc Post time: 2015-8-5 08:14
More exchanges should be done between the Chinese and the Anglos.

Anglo-Chinese education has broug ...

The Chinese education system does not work

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.