Views: 5869|Replies: 78

Britain must make reparations to India: PM Narendra Modi   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-26 04:49:04 |Display all floors

India's Modi praises MP for reparations speech in Britain
PUBLISHED
JUL 23, 2015

NEW DELHI (AFP) - Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday praised an opposition politician for saying "the right things at the right place" after the MP called for colonial ruler Britain to make reparations to India in a speech at Oxford University.

Shashi Tharoor, a lawmaker from the beleaguered Congress party, made an impassioned argument in favour of Britain providing India financial compensation for 200 years of colonial rule, becoming a hit on social media after the Oxford Union debating society posted his speech online last week.

"Tharoor's speech reflected the feelings of patriotic Indians on the issue and showed what impression one can leave with effective arguments by saying the right things at the right place," Modi said, at an event in New Delhi's parliament with Tharoor seated in the front row.

"India's share of the world economy when Britain arrived on its shores was 23 per cent. By the time the British left it was down to below 4 per cent," Tharoor said, in the May 28 debate.

"Why? Simply because India had been governed for the benefit of Britain. Britain's rise for 200 years was financed by its depredations in India," he said.

Tharoor added that Indians had "literally paid for our own oppression," as by the end of the 19th century they were the world's biggest purchasers of British goods, as well as providing employment for highly paid civil servants.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-26 04:54:25 |Display all floors
I am very proud my dear Indian Prime Minister Modi has the courage to speak up.
My former British colonialist masters are very hard nuts to crack.

My beautiful motherland India could have been one of the wealthiest country in the world if the British had not plundered the country's wealth, and made slaves of my ancestors.

We must make the British pay for their evil deeds.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-26 05:06:20 |Display all floors
What price should the British pay for India's ills?
"India's share of the world economy when Britain arrived on its shores was 23 per cent. By the time the British left it was down to below 4 per cent," Tharoor said, in the May 28 debate.

The United Kindom is said to be worth USD 10 trillions.

The figures from India's most competent economist suggest at least half the wealth of Britain was plundered from India, and was then meticulously siphoned off back to the little island for 200 years continuously.

We Indians demands a reparation of USD 5 trillion from David Cameron, and not one penny less.

We will table this demand to the UN.
I hope our BRIC friends, especially China and Russia will give India their full support.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-26 05:43:47 |Display all floors
Bombay_plumber Post time: 2015-7-26 05:06
What price should the British pay for India's ills?
"India's share of the world economy when Britain ...

India was a better place when it was under British rule

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-26 11:33:48 |Display all floors
Using gdp figures from the 1500's is just a measure of agricultural output per country.  India has 23% of the worlds gdp because it has 23% of the world population growing food.  

Then along comes the industrial revolution.  This cause a massive expansion of the worlds gdp due to factory's in Europe an then into the America's.  So India's gdp as a percent of the whole drops.  

India's gdp in 1500 was 60500 millions of 1990 dollers.  In 1600 it has increased to 74,250.  By the year 1700 its at 90,750.  

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-7-26 11:42:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-7-26 13:45

The person who made a famous speech on this issue recently is Shashi Tharoor a member of parliament and the old Congress party. He was one of the candidates for the post of the Secretary General of the UN a few years ago.
His speech was applauded recently by Narendra Modi who belongs to Mr.Tharoor 's opposition political party. Mr. Modi is obviously not a blind opposer and agrees or disagrees based on specific issues.
It is true that Britain morally owes reparations to most of the world including the USA.  

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-26 13:01:37 |Display all floors
issues like this we can always count on Monty Python

"..what did the romans do for us.." for their wisdom

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.