Views: 3671|Replies: 12

Google removes Chinese name on map after Philippine furor [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-14 18:13:22 |Display all floors

[size=0.6875]AFP-JIJ

[size=1.125]MANILA – Google has quietly removed the Chinese name for a South China Sea shoal bitterly disputed by Beijing and Manila from its maps service, following an outcry from Filipinos.

[size=1.125]The Google Maps website on Tuesday referred to the rich fishing ground — a subject of a case lodged by the Philippines at an international arbitration tribunal — by its international name, Scarborough Shoal.

[size=1.125]The service had earlier labelled the shoal as part of China’s Zhongsha island chain, prompting an online campaign demanding that the Internet giant stop identifying the outcrop as part of Chinese territory.

[size=1.125]“We’ve updated Google Maps to fix the issue. We understand that geographic names can raise deep emotions which is why we worked quickly once this was brought to our attention,” Google’s office in Manila said in a statement.

[size=1.125]Scarborough Shoal lies 220 kilometers (140 miles) off the main Philippine island of Luzon and 650 kilometers from Hainan island, the nearest major Chinese land mass.

[size=1.125]China has controlled the shoal since 2012, following a brief standoff with the Philippines.

[size=1.125]Since then, the Philippines has accused the Chinese coast guard of harassing Filipino fishermen at the shoal, including robbing them of their catch at gunpoint earlier this year.

[size=1.125]A petition posted to campaigns website Change.org blast week to get Google Maps to drop the Chinese name of the shoal on its site drew close to 2,000 supporters.

[size=1.125]“China’s sweeping claim of (the) South China Sea under their nine-dash line purportedly historical boundary is illegal and is creating tension among nations,” the petition read.

[size=1.125]“Google Maps showing this is part of Zhongsha island chain gives credence to what is plainly a territory grab that peace loving nations should stand against.”

[size=1.125]Last week, a United Nations-backed tribunal at The Hague started hearing a Philippine petition to declare illegal China’s maritime claims in the South China Sea that overlap with those of the Philippines.

[size=1.125]On Monday, Filipino officials wrapped up arguments to convince the panel it had jurisdiction over the case, presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte said.

[size=1.125]Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said the Philippines was “confident” the tribunal would assume jurisdiction.

[size=1.125]“We are doing this as a peaceful means to resolve the dispute. We can’t fight China economically, militarily and even politically. This is the way to do it,” de Lima told Manila broadcaster ABS-CBN Tuesday.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-14 19:21:50 |Display all floors
Google not scared of China.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-14 19:23:29 |Display all floors
How many Fortune500 not scared of China?

Only 1
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-7-14 21:43:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-15 13:11:55 |Display all floors
Google s just a search service.  What would 1.3 billion Chinese people say when they find their island renamed after a British sailor who wrecked his ship on one of China's islands?  Thank you?  

How will ads delivered by Google fare for those looking for their island on Google Map and found its name changed to a non-Chinese name?  Buy it?

How will other search services be viewed by the Chinese netizens who are the largest in the world, when they know their sovereign territory was renamed without their consent?  Search it?

Well, maybe, yes, search it in Bing for a greater Bang, to be sure.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-15 18:25:41 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2015-7-14 19:21
Google not scared of China.

No they are not

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-15 18:26:06 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2015-7-14 19:40
China not scared of Google either!

We have long kicked-arsed this US Government foul mouthpiece out ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.