Views: 2267|Replies: 16

GREXIT: Tsipras' speach in Euro parliament (excerpt) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-8 17:55:05 |Display all floors

Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras just addressed the European Parliament, drawing rapturous applause from his supporters, and stonier faces elsewhere.

The tone was open and straightforward. No triumphalism, no lectures. Among the key soundbites, collected by Katie Martin:

I am not a politician who claims that those responsible... are wicked foreigners. Greece has got to [the] verge of bankruptcy because governments of Greece have created clientilism, strengthened corruption, nurtured a nexus between political and economic power. They have allowed tax evasion to run riot and it's now rife.

I have been given a mandate to redouble efforts to get a socially just solution without the mistakes of the past.

I fully assume responsibility for what has happened in last five and a half months, but we must recognise that the basic responsibility for the impasse we find ourselves in don't just concern the last five and a half months, but also the last five and a half years.

My country has been transformed to an austerity laboratory. This experiment has not been a success

We demand an agreement with our neighbours, one that gives us a sign we are exiting from the crisis, which will demonstrate light at [the] end of tunnel.

[An agreement] is in Europe's best interests economically but also geopolitically.

Let us not allow it to become a divided Europe. We are called upon to produce a fair compromise that will avoid a break-off in negotiations. This is in line with the traditions of the European Union. Together we can rise to this historical challenge

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-8 18:07:04 |Display all floors
Manfred Weber, a German MEP from Angela Merkel's CSU Party, spoke after Alexis Tsipras and thoroughly lambasted the Greek Prime Minister, Joel Lewin writes.

Here are the highlights:

The prime minister of Greece should apologise for those utterly unacceptable statements [terrorists]. Unfortunately he has passed over them in silence

You are destroying confidence in Europe. You're talking about dignity, but dignity means truth, honesty. You said that the banks are closing because the evil ECB is ratcheting up pressure. You said the banks would be open on Tuesday, it is now Wednesday, you are not being honest with the Greek people

Mr Tsipras, the extremists of Europe are applauding you. Fidel Castro wrote a message to congratulate you on your triumph. It seems to me you are surrounding yourself with the wrong friends.

If you're talking about a debt haircut, be honest. Its not extraneous financial institutions that will pay. It's Portugal… Spain… It's the nurses in Poland. You have to think about the dignity of people in other European countries

How can you tell Bulgaria in terms of solidarity that Greece cannot countenance further cuts, when in at least 5 other European countries the standard of living is lower than in Greece. The PM of Slovakia is also thinking about a referendum because the citizens are sick of shelling out for the Greeks.

You engage in confrontation, we engage in compromise. You are looking for failure, we are looking for success.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-8 18:34:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2015-7-8 18:37

I think   Greece will get kicked out of Euro and they should.

I think Greece budget is not even enough for their operating expenses without talking loan repayments.

In that sense , there is nothing to talk anymore.

Let them swim or sink on their Drachma.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-9 10:27:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by abramicus at 2015-7-9 11:44

Tsipras, indeed, has not been honest with the Greek voters.  He should have told them that the final alternative to getting debt forgiveness, is not that of surrendering to more austerity measures that would lead to the starvation, sickness and demise of their older folks, but is rather that of Greece printing its own currency, the Drachma, which will be issued as a 1-to-1 convertible currency to all Euro accounts, and which will be held in the banks as Euro-equivalents, until such time as they need to be withdrawn by the Greek depositors, when it will be reconverted from Euro-Equivalents into Drachmas at the then current Drachma/Euro exchange rate, thus insulating all Greek savings from the loss of purchasing power due to devaluation or inflation.  He failed to spell out the means by which Greeks can remain independent, while insisting that the EC continue to lend Greece more money that everyone knows Greece cannot repay, ever, in the future.

Tsipras talks about ending graft and corruption, but opposes the issuance of Greece's own sovereign currency, when the most effective way of ending graft and corruption is for the government and the public to pay each other in Drachmas that cannot be converted into Euros or other foreign currencies, and thus could not be squirreled away by the corrupt officials in their foreign bank accounts.

Like Varoufakis told the British reporter, Greece should have started preparing to issue its own parallel curency one week ago, or rather one-and-a-half weeks ago.  But it is not too late.  Tsipras is using the EC threats to turn the screws on his own impoverished pensioners to tell him that they have suffered enough, and would agree to his signing their own death warrants by accepting the Draconian austerity measures their creditors are demanding from Greece.

Anyone who talks about being independent should act independently of the EU, not subject his constituency to TOTAL DEPENDENCY on their creditors.  He speaks independence, but he makes them all dependent on their foreign creditors, for even the next meal they will need to eat come Monday morning.  This is not patriotism, it is treason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-9 10:40:24 |Display all floors
abramicus Post time: 2015-7-9 10:27
Tsipras, indeed, has not been honest with the Greek voters.  He should have told them that the final ...

Tsipras is a fake

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-9 10:46:58 |Display all floors
Tsipras wants to socialize Greece's overspending and debt problem to other European taxpayers.

Greece is like a small kid. Making a lot of noise and thinks they know best.

The best thing the Greeks should do is hand over the reigns to IMF for 10 years and let them change the country. The Greeks can never do it on their own.

My first advice is stop raising taxes, start paying taxes and don't spend more than you have.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-9 10:50:41 |Display all floors
volkswagen360 Post time: 2015-7-8 12:07
Manfred Weber, a German MEP from Angela Merkel's CSU Party, spoke after Alexis Tsipras and thoroughl ...

Mr. Tsipras is a liar and a fraud.

If Greece is so keen on keeping the promises and looking for justice, how do they justify the demands that the countries that followed the EMU rules should bail out the people who lied their way in to EMU, couldn't care less about the agreements and call the ONLY people willing to help them terrorists?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.