Author: voice_cd

Foreign language learning, the earlier the better?     [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-19 20:51:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-19 21:01:32 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-19 21:03:30 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 07:02:27 |Display all floors
If you want Chinese kids to learn how to speak English Chinese government should go to Nordic Countries and Holland and see how it is done.

Stop wasting money on nuclear weapons and aircraft carriers and invest in education.

Don't let English learning and other education become a business only the rich can afford. Make sure everyone can study at university level as long as they have the skills and motivation to pass the tests.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 20:09:23 |Display all floors
From me and Nicole's experience, when to start learning turns out to be less important, while the issue how often the language can be used, especially which language the majority of people speak with, is the essential factor. Nicole has been exposed to a trilingual environment since she was born, Chinese mandarin, Swiss German and English. But the pity is that Chinese is really an extreme minority's here, only parents speak Chinese to her. She started regular communication with local people and babies and toddlers since she was one year old. As to English, when we three are outside, both parents speak English with other friends. Her speech development has long been my concern during the past two years, coz it is significantly lagged behind compared with the kids from the same age group. But luckily that she finally started, around almost 3 years old. Still no detente yet, but in combination with several words. An typical example is that, "Mama, weng-weng, das Beener!"
Nicole's experience is not a single case. Many friends of us with similar problem wit heir kids speech. The kids normally starts speaking relatively later, some at 2 years old, some at two and half, some are even later till 4 years old. That's why I'm still reassured although worried a lot. So my suggestion is, earlier makes better, but you need to wait until she can speak well with the first language, saying making stories, after that, you can start with the second or third foreign language.  And I think the normal age will be around 3 to 4 years old.We have friends newly moved here, with kids going to kindergarten and primary school, respectively. The younger one integrates well after 3 months, while the elder one takes a longer time, half a year maybe.
Live and record.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 20:55:32 |Display all floors
I do think that studying a foreign language is necessary. But, well, I think whether you really enjoy it is the most important. If one can study a language with happiness, then do it. He will learn the language very fast. If he can't-he hates studying the language- than let it go. Just let him do the things he likes. Schools in China will teach students English when they are the age to go to school. So don't worry about that your kid will never study a language. China education will teach them when they are at the age of going to school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-20 21:03:09 |Display all floors
Different answer for different people. It stand on whether one likes the language. If yes, then the answer is yes. If no, then the answer is no. Because it'll be much mor difficult for a person who hates studying the language to learn it. Don't force him. Or he will not study it well when he has to.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.