Author: voice_cd

Foreign language learning, the earlier the better?     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-17 19:06:38 |Display all floors
The late is not good, also the earlier is not good.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2015-6-17 20:23:47 |Display all floors
No doubt the earlier the better. If a child can learn two languages, one being their native language, at one time, it is optimum. There is a direct relationship between learning a foreign language and the level of success a person will experience. 8 of the top 10 richest people in China are fluent or near fluent in English. If a person has no little to now guanxi, they can excel more with a degree from a Western university. Most of the time this will require high proficiency in English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-18 09:17:01 |Display all floors
I have said here many times that learning for the youngest children is "play". Children play and enjoy imitating what they see and hear. It is fun......... BUT.. when adults force them to learn it destroys their wish to learn.  In China this is exaggerated by parents who are desperate for their child to succeed and so make unreasonable demands on him/her. They sometimes force their child to attend extra courses after school, or tuition before they are old enough for school. If at school their child will be tired after "play" and will need rest and learning social skills and relationships through contact with the family. They need time to internalise what they have learned. If at pre-school age the courses provided will often be fun "play", but in China parental expectations, their lack of knowledge about a child's learning needs and their ignorance about how learning occurs can lead to miserable experiences for a child.
The earliest experiences are the most powerful. Pleasurable learning at this age leads to an ongoing wish to learn later. Bad experiences do the opposite.
Where the learning of a language is concerned, the earlier they experience it the better. Parents who speak Chinese and English for example, can speak English all the time at home, leaving Chinese to everyday outside life. Using both languages becomes natural and comparatively easy. Oh, it can have some amusing effects. I was used to using the Spanish word for pudding/sweet. It was several years before I realised that none of my little English friends had any idea what I was talking about!
Also in China it seems that often everything has to be tested. The experience of failing at a young age can be part of that damaging experience.
In conclusion; introduce children to the pleasures of learning... dance, song, stories, music, drama, art.
Let them play with appropriate content. Allow plenty of time for family and rest. Let them by children before they become students who, in China have to face a rigorous and demanding workload of rote learning in order to pass tests. Maybe tests are needed for young children, but not to determine passing/failing or progress, but to assess what they need.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-18 10:16:22 |Display all floors
Teaching early is a plus, to be sure. But teaching well is far more important. The Chinese system of rote memorization and focus on progress harms more than helps because children are not necessarily receptive to the burden of learning at a young age. Much better to just let the kids learn by playing.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-18 10:29:47 |Display all floors
J.E.Overington Post time: 2015-6-17 16:35
I taught regular preschool in Penghu in 2004, and preschool for learning disabled children in Taipei ...

You point of view is great .This is the first time i see the difference education between china and west(Eventhoug taipei belongs to china but there are difference between inland and taipei or hongkong ) .Chinese people want to imitate the way of life on west .But we didn`t relaise our culture and thought never changed .We want to give child biligual language environment but many schools failed .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-18 10:33:12 |Display all floors
zmcsuperman Post time: 2015-6-17 16:52
Hi guys
I believe english power is connect with your salary,future,communication circle closely.but ...

I disagree with you .It will be more easy to learn a  language at young age .You cannot take language as a skill it is a communication tool.You can see many westerners know many language but they learn it easily while in china it will be a mircale to learn so many languages that is because we don`t have the language environment .Don`t you think so ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-18 10:49:11 |Display all floors
teamkrejados Post time: 2015-6-18 10:16
Teaching early is a plus, to be sure. But teaching well is far more important. The Chinese system of ...

I agree your idea very much, the earlier get education is not only strict their freedom of playing ,but also strict their brain developing , Learning by playing is the best way ,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.